Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Qualifying for loans/grants  (Read 630 times)

Ocean Blue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Qualifying for loans/grants
« on: October 07, 2005, 06:08:30 PM »
I currently have a generous salary (low six figures), but have no money in savings (I'm only 3 years out of school, just got married, have a new baby, and live in Orange County, CA).

I will have very little money, if any, saved up by the time I attend law school, and am very concerned about how I'm going to pay for it.  Anyone know if my current salary is going to prevent me from getting loans for school?  General wisdom seems to be to go the best school I can get into, but affordability could play a major role in where I choose to apply.  I'm submitting all of my applications this month.

Any thoughts, I'd appreciate the help.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ocnblu6

168/3.62
Accepted: Michigan, UT-Austin($$$), USC, NotreDame($$$) W&L($$$), Boston U, UCLA
Pending: UVA, LLS, Duke, Penn
Rejected: Boalt, Chicago
Waitlisted: Georgetown

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Qualifying for loans/grants
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 06:16:15 PM »
I currently have a generous salary (low six figures), but have no money in savings (I'm only 3 years out of school, just got married, have a new baby, and live in Orange County, CA).

I will have very little money, if any, saved up by the time I attend law school, and am very concerned about how I'm going to pay for it.  Anyone know if my current salary is going to prevent me from getting loans for school?  General wisdom seems to be to go the best school I can get into, but affordability could play a major role in where I choose to apply.  I'm submitting all of my applications this month.

Any thoughts, I'd appreciate the help.

if you have a good credit history you will get all the loans you are going to need.  check your credit reports first. 

Ocean Blue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 06:24:26 PM »
So it's not automatically assumed that I'll be able to pay for it myself?

That's good news - if I recall when I was applying for undergrad (been a long time ago now) I had to list all the income info for my parents, and the number of loans I was offered was dependent on their income.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ocnblu6

168/3.62
Accepted: Michigan, UT-Austin($$$), USC, NotreDame($$$) W&L($$$), Boston U, UCLA
Pending: UVA, LLS, Duke, Penn
Rejected: Boalt, Chicago
Waitlisted: Georgetown

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 06:29:10 PM »
So it's not automatically assumed that I'll be able to pay for it myself?

That's good news - if I recall when I was applying for undergrad (been a long time ago now) I had to list all the income info for my parents, and the number of loans I was offered was dependent on their income.

I think what you're thinking of is the federally subsidized loans. I believe those may be income dependant, I'm not sure. There are tons of private student loans that are not income dependant.
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 01:45:18 PM »
if your income is above a certain level then the government will NOT subsidize your loan (meaning paying the interest for you while you are in law school).  But the maximum amount they can subsidize a year is around $9,000 a pretty pathetic figure IMO.  Regardless of your income, every student with a good enough credit score can borrow up to the full cost of her legal education. 

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 07:44:52 PM »
if your income is above a certain level then the government will NOT subsidize your loan (meaning paying the interest for you while you are in law school).  But the maximum amount they can subsidize a year is around $9,000 a pretty pathetic figure IMO.  Regardless of your income, every student with a good enough credit score can borrow up to the full cost of her legal education. 

That includes living expenses, correct?
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 03:07:57 AM »

within reason.  the exact figure is usually calculated based on the law schools total cost of education.  Some loans will go a bit higher based on other factors.  i would think that many companies would expect your wife to work and offset some of the living expenses... but then perhaps others would not. 

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 12:38:35 PM »

Yes it does.  But the living expenses are subject to a ceiling determined by the school.  Basically you will have to live within a tight buget which might be hard for folks who have been working for a while.