Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How binding is a Law school early disicion?!!  (Read 389 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
How binding is a Law school early disicion?!!
« on: October 07, 2005, 03:03:43 PM »
Hofstra U says in their application for early dicision that If I am accepted I MUST attend their school and cancel any other pending applications. Hofstra is a good school and I definately would go there, but It isn't my first, second, or even their choice, if I got admitted at any of the other schools I like more, i would rather go there. But I think early dicision would better my chances of getting into a law school. Seriously what could happen if I decide not to go??!! What could I get sued?, go to jail?? I don't understand how they can just MAKE ME go to their school. Sure I would, but not if I got into another I liked more. ANY thoughts on the subject?? I'm sure i'm not the only one thinking about the same thing. Thanks
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

be10dwn

Re: How binding is a Law school early disicion?!!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 03:05:59 PM »
do you really want to @#!* with lawyers?  Get a f-ing clue dude.   Binding is binding.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 03:09:33 PM »
If you're applying early decision under a binding plan, you are essentially signing a contract with the school.

If you apply ED and then back out on it after acceptance, do you want to take the chance that they might report it to the ABA and have it effect your being admitted to the bar?
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

lsdaccount

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 03:10:48 PM »
It is binding.  I am not sure of the ramifications, but at the very least they may contact the law school you intend to attend and notify them that you applied early decision, perhaps prompting the other law school to revoke their offer of acceptance.

If Hofstra is not your first choice, do not apply there Early Decision.  The benefit of it giving you a better chance of admission is not worth it if it is not your first choice and a reach as it is.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:15:53 PM »
Yea your all right, thanks. I didn't think about the scholarship disadvantages, I'll change to regular admittance.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 03:54:39 PM »
An ED accept is definitely binding, but I always wondered if you can withdraw an ED application before they give you an admissions decision....
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 05:08:11 PM »
Is anyone else bothered that it's the talk of scholarship advantages that caused the OP to decide to do the right thing?

Lucky77

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 05:17:42 PM »
haha good point. I mean, come on, they can't force you to go. But they can make it so you cant go to any other law school. It's pretty much come here or dont go to law school.