Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Yale Law  (Read 74988 times)

badmammajamma

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Law
« Reply #420 on: March 08, 2006, 06:46:27 PM »
Has anyone gotten the binder? I thought they were just referencing the e-binder on Blackboard. I was.
Yale Class of 2009

John Galt

« Reply #421 on: March 08, 2006, 06:47:27 PM »
I just got it. It was waiting in the mail today.

TXcal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 08, 2006, 07:17:12 PM »
Like VeeLeigh, I'm a West Coaster who still hasn't received the Binder (not for lack of obsessively checking my mail box, though!).  If it hasn't come by the end of the week, though, I say you guys start filling us in on what's inside...

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 08, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
It sounds like you knew what field/topics you were interested when choosing a school last year - did you mention that in your app/personal statement?

Not too specifically, although it was very easy to tell by looking at my CV.  After I was admitted, Dean Koh tried to call me in Ireland to reassure me that YLS was a good place for my area of interest.

And, to clarify, are you saying you chose Yale over, say, Harvard, because you preferred their learning environment and student body, even though they leave a lot to be desired in your area of interest?

That's exactly what I'm saying.  I did not like the people at Harvard, although the profs  and administration seemed cool.  If law school's a lot about connections, I knew I wouldn't want to connect with most of the folks at HLS.

Also, I can see what you mean about legal scholarship on race being less respected in academic circles and not too popular at Yale but how about more general social justice-related topics like...civil rights law or issues of social stratification? Is the issue of social justice as a whole more embraced than the specific topic of race, in terms of classes offered and professors' interest?

Well, everyone here is interested in social justice broadly, which is what makes it a cool place to be.  It's almost like if you're not interested in social justice you stand out from the crowd.  If you are generally interested in social justice, YLS is great because you'll find lots of partners in the struggle.  Where we all tend to disagree on is what exactly social justice entails.  It's almost like interest in social justice is a foregone conclusion.

At the same time, few people talk about social justice in the classroom.  A few (i.e. Owen Fiss) do. Even though profs pursue their own social justice concerns on their own time, it's usually not a part of the classroom discussion and that is disconcerting.

Oh and fill me in, what's the "Kiwi Camara" drama?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/nyregion/08yale.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 08, 2006, 10:31:57 PM »
Has anyone gotten the binder? I thought they were just referencing the e-binder on Blackboard. I was.

I've had the genuine binder for a while now.  Old hat, really.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 10, 2006, 12:50:39 PM »
Ok, not that I actually expect it to matter, but just in case I'm doing the financial aid, and I was wondering if any of you admitted folks could confirm for me that for the first step all that's required is to submit FAFSA and Needs Access.  I've been combing their site for a Yale specific form that's due March 15th and I can't find one.

TXcal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 10, 2006, 01:01:12 PM »
Ok, not that I actually expect it to matter, but just in case I'm doing the financial aid, and I was wondering if any of you admitted folks could confirm for me that for the first step all that's required is to submit FAFSA and Needs Access.  I've been combing their site for a Yale specific form that's due March 15th and I can't find one.

Yup, you got it:  just the FAFSA & Need Access by Mar 15th.

bettingonchina

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 12, 2006, 02:47:56 PM »
Good luck to the dread pirate Su, I got my thin envelope yesterday, so I won't be lurking hear much more....but if anyone deserves to get in, it you dreadpirate; you've got my vote.  maybe i'll see y'all around next year when i transfer from Boalt. maybe...
3.83/168

you are NOT the father: BOALT (woot)
test results after this commercial break: HARVARD, STANFORD, L & C
you ARE the father: YALE

have you had a child and don't know who the father is? write to maury at LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=bettingonchina

badmammajamma

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 12, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »
I got the binder and read it for hours late into the night. The classes sound so interesting, but I have heard that the professor makes the class, and you should choose your classes with that in mind. So I guess I'll wait until I can get some feedback on the profs.
Yale Class of 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 12, 2006, 07:46:45 PM »
Once you get your netid (at the beginning of July, I think), you will have access to the course evaluations.  People are quite candid.  And now that the Registrar is making people fill them out before they can see their grades, the number of comments should increase substantially (even though there is no shortage for most classes now).