Law School Discussion

Yale Law

stacy

• View Profile
Re: Yale Law
« Reply #440 on: March 14, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »
I like how there are 586 students and 484 participate in journals...a definite plus, it seems, of attending such a tiny school! 

also, the gpas were higher than i expected, but the lsats not quite as high.  maybe with the move from mid-50% to median in the USN rankings, they'll be a bit more forgiving (fingers crossed)?

TXcal

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 14, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »
Hey, Veeleigh, how long ago did you submit your Financial Aid info? Just trying to figure out when I should be expecting to hear from them...

Hey Curly--you didn't ask me, but I'll volunteer anyway  :P:  I submitted NeedAccess on March 1st (the FAFSA was submitted earlier, I forget when) and got the award letter in an email on the 10th.

« Reply #442 on: March 15, 2006, 02:55:25 AM »
I have received a generous financial aid grant of 24,900 for my first year at Yale.  Does anyone know if I can expect to receive that amount in grants for all three years, or does the amount generally decrease significantly after the first year?  Thanks.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 15, 2006, 06:02:26 AM »
Depends on what you do the summer after your first year.  If you get a firm job making $30k over the summer, anything over approximately $6k will be deducted straight from your finaid.  If you do something that pays $6k or under, then you probably won't be affected.  I'll let you know in a few weeks whether this is true ;).

badmammajamma

• I drew this on the Microsoft Paint. Sweet, huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 15, 2006, 07:11:39 AM »
I am particulalrly impressed by the number of volumes in their library. I consider this one of the most important criteria for selecting a law school. If there were a few hundred fewer volumes, I probably could not learn. I intend to read them all.
I just think that is a silly stat to have right on the fact sheet. Why not "1L Summer Placement" or something more useful?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 15, 2006, 07:54:33 AM »
Lol.  The number of books in the library (2nd only to Harvard...pretty good for a school 1/3 H's size) is more useful than placement stats...everyone gets jobs.  If you have a small library, you will have to go through more trouble to do research.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 15, 2006, 08:02:24 AM »

Good temple potential...

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 15, 2006, 08:09:12 AM »
I am particulalrly impressed by the number of volumes in their library. I consider this one of the most important criteria for selecting a law school. If there were a few hundred fewer volumes, I probably could not learn. I intend to read them all.
I just think that is a silly stat to have right on the fact sheet. Why not "1L Summer Placement" or something more useful?

1L summer placement would not be the most useful as a large part of students choose to do more ecclectic things that summer though they could get the more prestigious firm/pi/government jobs.  2L placement is a bit better although there is still a small group of COAP or die-ers

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2006, 08:47:27 AM »

Good temple potential...

Possibly.  But Harvard has columns.  Columns are vital.  If you should join us at YLS, I'll hunt out a proper dwelling place for you ;).

EDIT: And the reading room is now far less drabby than that picture.  Only open tables.  None of those cubby hole things.  They're all downstairs.

cyberrev

« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:49 AM »
god it looks *freezing* in there...