Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying Late December- Is this a large disadvantage?  (Read 999 times)

BearGirl

Applying Late December- Is this a large disadvantage?
« on: October 06, 2005, 05:57:09 PM »
Just curious as to whether applying late December will put be at a disadvantage or not.  I know it's best to apply early, but is late December okay?  I know it's bad to apply late, but around what time is considered late? I am mostly applying to tier 2 schools, and I am hopeful for $$...(The schools' posted deadlines are all later than January.)

The reason why I am not applying early is because I cancelled my LSAT and need to take the December LSAT.  I will apply within a couple of days of receiving my score.

jdw112

Re: Applying Late December- Is this a large disadvantage?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 06:20:21 PM »
If you have a list of schools you are applying to no matter your score, submit your apps before scores are in.

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 06:23:04 PM »
If you're marginal at the school you're applying to, yes it will hurt you. I definitely think that application date is the third most important factor in admissions. The vast majority of applicants apply after the new year, so technically it isn't late, but looking over LSN, late Dec vs. late Oct seems to often make the difference between a waitlist and an admit. If you've got high numbers for a school, you should still get in though. Head over to LSN, look at the school you want to go to, find those with your numbers and see how those who applied around the same time fared.

BearGirl

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 06:35:52 PM »
Hmmm...My number one choice (University of Cincinnati) didn't have very much usable information as far as dates go.   ::)  The sample size was fairly small, and many of the scores posted were higher than UC's averages, so it's hard to tell. 

Thanks for the advice about submitted apps earlier than than the score release date...

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 07:49:54 AM »
Yes.

lsdaccount

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 08:09:12 AM »
It depends on the schools.  The more selective a school is in general, the more of a disadvantage you have.  My recommendation is to get everything into LSAC and if you can estimate your LSAT to the schools you are applying to.  Then you will only have to get your score in and they can make a decision more quickly. 

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 06:03:39 PM »
Just curious as to whether applying late December will put be at a disadvantage or not.  I know it's best to apply early, but is late December okay?  I know it's bad to apply late, but around what time is considered late? I am mostly applying to tier 2 schools, and I am hopeful for $$...(The schools' posted deadlines are all later than January.)

The reason why I am not applying early is because I cancelled my LSAT and need to take the December LSAT.  I will apply within a couple of days of receiving my score.

It worked out for me last year,  no problem at all. 

ezeman200x

• AOL Instant Messenger - usctroyholla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »
I'm in the same boat for this one.  I was advised to focus on my upcoming LSAT in December rather than worrying about applying, because it's better to have a great application after the test than a good application before.  I already have my LORs lined up and transcripts in, I just have to fine tune my resume and crank out a PS.

Roy Lichtenstein

• Sr. Citizen
  • I Can See the Whole Room . . . , 1961
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »
I love how you revived a 2 year old thread!

Anyway, I applied around this time last year, and I think I did fairly well considering my numbers, although I was on quite a few waitlists.  Don't know if it would have made a difference if I applied earlier.  I sent all of my apps out a good 2 months earlier this year (with a better LSAT score), so we will see if it helps.
If at first you don't succeed, apply, apply again!