Learning Disablilities

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Learning Disablilities
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 11:54:47 AM »
There is still a popular impression that depression is something that you should just get over and that it is a weakness in character rather than a medical condition.

Absolutely true. Depression is physiological just as diabetes is physiological. SSRI's (etc) are given to treat the chemical imbalance just like insulin is given to treat the imbalance.

sarahz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 12:00:06 PM »
There is still a popular impression that depression is something that you should just get over and that it is a weakness in character rather than a medical condition.

Absolutely true. Depression is physiological just as diabetes is physiological. SSRI's (etc) are given to treat the chemical imbalance just like insulin is given to treat the imbalance.

WHEN its chemical...most depression that people have is not chemical, in which case it can be overcome by lifestyle changes.

nathanielmark

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 12:04:29 PM »
sarahz, are you a doctor?  If not, what makes you an authority on such matters?

WHEN its chemical...most depression that people have is not chemical, in which case it can be overcome by lifestyle changes.

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 12:05:17 PM »
i bet she plays one on tv though.

jgruber

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 12:06:08 PM »
don't make it sound so easy.  change your lifestyle to cure depression.  it is a disease and that disease may stop a person from taking the cure you suggest.

It's not as if the person has a choice, any more than you could chose to have cancer or diabetes.

That being said very often it is not a chemical imbalance or that's the way it seems, since there is no medical test for depression.  I take that back.  there are actually about 25 tests for depression and each is used in different places.

I am being treated fairly successfully with drugs, but it doesn't  prove that i have a chemical imbalance.  They've found that depression caused by non-chemical factors can also be treated with drugs.

nathanielmark

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 12:09:28 PM »
just a side note.  to any of you young guys who want to impress the ladies.  SSRIs greatly increase sexual stamina in men.

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2004, 12:10:23 PM »
just a side note.  to any of you young guys who want to impress the ladies.  SSRIs greatly increase sexual stamina in men.

so does dried ground antelope penis, but im not rushing out to get that *&^%.

superiorlobe

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 12:12:01 PM »

And what gives you the authority to question her judgement? Are you a doctor?

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 12:13:11 PM »

Well it's all chemical. Everyone gets sad. that's human. That's different though from being clinically depressed. Either way, they are both chemical reactions. Many people are still stuck on the idea that the mind and body are two separate entities when in fact, physiology and psychology are undoubtedly inextricable. a chemical imbalance in the body can cause depression, and psychosomatic symptoms occur within all of us. You can change the chemicals in your brain by physical actions, or lifestyle changes. That's why, for example, working out changes the seratonin levels in your brain, and reduces the degree of depression one experiences. Physical lifestyle changes induce the chemical changes within the brain.

sarahz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2004, 12:13:29 PM »

Never claimed to be an authority...but it is true that most depression is not based on a chemical imbalance that doctor can trace...therefore plenty of people dont consider it something that is a 'medical condition'...

that being said...i dont think that making lifestyle changes are easy, i have gone through the depression thing in the past myself and tried drugs...i personally hated taking them because, for me, it wasnt solving the problems, just making it hard to feel depressed.  

point being that if so many of us are discussing the merits of depression/causes/cures/method of dealing...if you use this in an app. essay-whats to stop the ad comm's from having the same discussion and coming up with an unfavorable answer...