Law School Discussion

Learning Disablilities

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Disablilities
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2004, 11:22:39 AM »
the korean saying is "if you laugh after crying, youll grow hair on your ass"

but i guess that could apply to ganj and palms too.
if you smoke to much jeeber, you will grow hair on your palms.  at least thats what ive been told...   ;D

where's the part that projects the braiding thereof?

that only applies to koreans that smoke crack.

nathanielmark

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2004, 11:24:41 AM »
shame on you DSONG!  shame on you Jew-Lo!  how can you make light of such serious ailments?

dsong02

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2004, 11:27:29 AM »
shame on you DSONG!  shame on you Jew-Lo!  how can you make light of such serious ailments?

why is it that when people refer to my name, they use all CAPS but not others?  it makes me feel special.  my mom used to tell me that special meant that you were retarded.  god i hate that lady.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2004, 11:37:18 AM »
I wouldn't call it flimsy.  Depression could cause that, but not necessarily.  Depression meaning medical depression, not general sadness.
But if depression holds down your GPA then I would have had a 4.0 instead of 3.56

Maybe i should rephrase...i dont doubt that depression could and does cause grades to lower...i think most people have experienced that...and being clinicly diagnosed is often when grades come up through treatment...

When i think of things to explain a low GPA, i personally think that anything that might make you look unstable is not going to help.  Also, i would worry that it would draw attention to other applicants who (for example) survived some horrible plane crash, but still managed good grades by working through their depression..

But i think the two are very similar: I think almost every plane crash survivor would experience PTSD-which can and does cause a great deal of instability. I think the cause sounds more noble: someone who has endured some sort of atrocity is something most of us can understand a little more tangibly. We can understand to some degree what it would be like. If the cause is depression, clinical depression is much harder to comprehend as a cause and thus, is not quite as noble, is not seen so much as an obstacle to overcome. The instability stigma is attached to this affliction, but not so much to someone who endures an accident, yet continues to be haunted by memories.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2004, 11:39:05 AM »

My apologies. Let me know when we plan to have our LSD intervention for sones

jgruber

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 11:39:59 AM »
There is still a popular impression that depression is something that you should just get over and that it is a weakness in character rather than a medical condition.

sarahz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 11:41:37 AM »
okay so a plane crash was a bad example...the point was that depression is still often seen (whether true or not) as something that the person is 'weak' or at fault for not controlling...i could def. see how it could come across as something a law school might find as a negative, and since the point of apps is to try to impress and when applicable, gloss over negatives, someone could draw unncessary attention by stating depression as reason for poor grades.

All situations are different of course.

dsong02

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2004, 11:44:29 AM »
There is still a popular impression that depression is something that you should just get over and that it is a weakness in character rather than a medical condition.

i COMPLETELY agree with this.  a while back, i was diagnosed with clinical depression.  not sure if it was the excessive drinking or the futile attempts to take my own life using the clasp on a large interoffice envelope, but i went to see a doc and thats what he told me.  i went to see the head-doc for a while, but i ended up making him cry.  i tried zoloft but it just made me drink more. 

one day, i just sat back and told myself that i wasnt going to be pissed off or depressed anymore.  that was the best day of my life. 

sarahz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2004, 11:48:12 AM »
depression scares people off...i dont think its a great reaction to someones problems but unless its some sort of uncontrolled chemical imbalance...which is NOT the case in many, many cases of depression...falling back on it as a reason for lack of sucess is not going to be seen as a good thing!

jgruber

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2004, 11:50:53 AM »
Sometimes depression can be overcome this way.  Other times it can't, especially if it caused by a chemical imbalance.

i COMPLETELY agree with this.  a while back, i was diagnosed with clinical depression.  not sure if it was the excessive drinking or the futile attempts to take my own life using the clasp on a large interoffice envelope, but i went to see a doc and thats what he told me.  i went to see the head-doc for a while, but i ended up making him cry.  i tried zoloft but it just made me drink more. 

one day, i just sat back and told myself that i wasnt going to be pissed off or depressed anymore.  that was the best day of my life.