Law School Discussion

"Splitter" questions

Steve Butabi

• and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
"Splitter" questions
« on: October 06, 2005, 09:44:04 AM »
Hi. I'm what you call a "splitter" I guess. I anticipate a score in the high 160's on my lsat, but I've got a LSDAS GPA of 3.04. I know I don't have a good chance at any of the GPA-intensive schools, but for others, how does this affect admissions?

I've been using chiashu and the lsac admissions calculator to guage my chances at schools, but for almost all of the schools, I am above or towards the end of their LSAT range and way behind their GPA range. Will this just increase the uncertainty of where I will get in? What schools would you guys add/subtract from my list? Thanks for the help. I'm fairly new here and this board has been fun.

my list:

Far reach- UMich, Northwestern
Reach- UNC
Target- Wisconsin, Georgia, Emory
Safety- Lewis & Clark
ExtraSafe Safety- NCCU

I'm an NC resident with 1 yr WE and great LOR's, white male.

Re: "Splitter" questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 09:53:07 AM »
Hi. I'm what you call a "splitter" I guess. I anticipate a score in the high 160's on my lsat, but I've got a LSDAS GPA of 3.04. I know I don't have a good chance at any of the GPA-intensive schools, but for others, how does this affect admissions?

I've been using chiashu and the lsac admissions calculator to guage my chances at schools, but for almost all of the schools, I am above or towards the end of their LSAT range and way behind their GPA range. Will this just increase the uncertainty of where I will get in? What schools would you guys add/subtract from my list? Thanks for the help. I'm fairly new here and this board has been fun.

my list:

Far reach- UMich, Northwestern
Reach- UNC
Target- Wisconsin, Georgia, Emory
Safety- Lewis & Clark
ExtraSafe Safety- NCCU

I'm an NC resident with 1 yr WE and great LOR's, white male.

If I were you I'd pick a few more safeteys... your targets might be a little on the reach side (esp. Wisconsin), but they're definately OK.  It looks like you're interested in the South/midwest... Maybe consider Bloomington, Case or Tulane?

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 09:54:07 AM »
Big difference between a 165 and a 170. I'd say with a 170+ you have a marginal shot at Michigan and Northwestern. Even instate, UNC is a real reach because they love high GPAs. You will probably also need 170+ to have a decent shot there. With a 167+ you should have a solid shot at your targets. I would definitely think about adding some more safeties if I were you (as the previous poster said).

Steve Butabi

• and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 02:24:18 PM »
good points and thanks for the advice. I'm very interested in being in chicago or other cities east of the mississippi except for new york.

I was really excited about applying to tulane but with all that has happened, I think it would be too difficult to enroll there in 06. Think about how hard it would be to find an apartment, let alone lead a normal life down there! I love new orleans and have been there 7 times in the past 4 years, but I don't think it's going to be ready.

Thanks for the suggesstions. I'm thinkin about adding Kent to my list.... any other ideas would be helpful.

nowayman

• "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »
Depends on how big of a split, really.  But if you get a 170+, cast your net very wide.  You'd be surprised what you can catch.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 06:37:50 AM »
good points and thanks for the advice. I'm very interested in being in chicago or other cities east of the mississippi except for new york.

I was really excited about applying to tulane but with all that has happened, I think it would be too difficult to enroll there in 06. Think about how hard it would be to find an apartment, let alone lead a normal life down there! I love new orleans and have been there 7 times in the past 4 years, but I don't think it's going to be ready.

Thanks for the suggesstions. I'm thinkin about adding Kent to my list.... any other ideas would be helpful.

One other piece of advice - Think about where you'd like to practice and live after Law School, and then do a search on martindale for lawyers in that city from the school you're considering - too few might be an indication that it would be harder to find a job there

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 03:53:20 PM »
Also, as long as were all assuming that USNWR runs this whole thing, theyre switching to medians rather than means. This will things very interesting for splitters.

nowayman

• "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 04:32:25 PM »
That will seriously mess things up.  When is this switch going to take place? 

Someone who isn't an english major want to make an estimate on how that would affect the application cycle?

I'll take my blind stab at it.

Medians are so much easier to manipulate.

169 168 169 170 180 179 176 mean: 173 median: 170

3.0 3.4 3.6 4.0 4.0 4.0 3.6 mean: 3.657 median: 3.6

add two numbers

120 168 169 169 176 179 179 180 180 (added 120 and 180) mean: 168.8 median: 176

2.0 2.0 3.0 3.4 3.6 3.6 4.0 4.0 4.0 mean: 2.844 median: 3.6

It looks like it is much easier to hide low numbers.  Further, it looks like extremely high numbers lose importance. 

Is only median going to be reported?

The end result would be a much more subjective application process, if I'm correct.  Feel free to rip to darn my assumptions.

Edit: typed mode, meant median.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:39:24 PM »
Where to i find this l;aw school calculator.
thx

SanchoPanzo

• My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005, 07:32:56 AM »
Where to i find this l;aw school calculator.
thx

Try these 2

http://www.chiashu.com/lsat.html

For this one, click "LSAC Data Search"
http://officialguide.lsac.org/docs/cgi-bin/home.asp