Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are Asians considered URM?  (Read 1935 times)

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Are Asians considered URM?
« on: October 05, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »
I heard only Black/Hispanic/Native Americans can be considered URM, and being an Asian actually hurts ones chance.  Is this true? 

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Are Asians considered URM?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 05:17:56 PM »
I heard only Black/Hispanic/Native Americans can be considered URM, and being an Asian actually hurts ones chance.  Is this true? 

It doesn't hurt; it just doesn't help.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 02:22:49 PM »
Besides being Asian, I am also a first generation immigrant, moved over here when I was 13 with my parents.  Would they give special consideration? Should I put in a diversity statement?

the scientist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 12:12:03 AM »
Besides being Asian, I am also a first generation immigrant, moved over here when I was 13 with my parents.  Would they give special consideration? Should I put in a diversity statement?

i am in the same boat as you...only diff is i came here when i was 19

Nemesis

• LSD Obsessed
  • The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 09:50:18 AM »

I think you should definitely include this in a diversity statement. Also, if you were the first in your immediate family to go to college, I think you should discuss that as well. These facts may help the adcomm see what you have had to overcome in order to reach this level.
Who's your Daddy now?

King80s

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 10:13:12 AM »

It doesn't hurt; it just doesn't help.

depends on the state.. at one time it decreased the chances in CA.  whether it is practiced as unofficial policy remains to be seen