Law School Discussion

Are Asians considered URM?

yiplong

• View Profile
Are Asians considered URM?
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:30:11 PM »
I heard only Black/Hispanic/Native Americans can be considered URM, and being an Asian actually hurts ones chance.  Is this true? 

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Are Asians considered URM?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 03:17:56 PM »
I heard only Black/Hispanic/Native Americans can be considered URM, and being an Asian actually hurts ones chance.  Is this true? 

It doesn't hurt; it just doesn't help.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:22:49 PM »
Besides being Asian, I am also a first generation immigrant, moved over here when I was 13 with my parents.  Would they give special consideration? Should I put in a diversity statement?

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 10:12:03 PM »
Besides being Asian, I am also a first generation immigrant, moved over here when I was 13 with my parents.  Would they give special consideration? Should I put in a diversity statement?

i am in the same boat as you...only diff is i came here when i was 19

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:50:18 AM »

I think you should definitely include this in a diversity statement. Also, if you were the first in your immediate family to go to college, I think you should discuss that as well. These facts may help the adcomm see what you have had to overcome in order to reach this level.

King80s

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 08:13:12 AM »

It doesn't hurt; it just doesn't help.

depends on the state.. at one time it decreased the chances in CA.  whether it is practiced as unofficial policy remains to be seen