Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not sure if I should include in PS  (Read 243 times)

Scunning

• View Profile
Not sure if I should include in PS
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:51:37 PM »
I was a victim of a violent crime in 1998. After two trials the perp got 12 years. Although this was a huge part of my decision to pursue law school, I'm wondering if it's a bit gory for the PS. I don't know how I can avoid it, but I don't want to seem like I'm looking for sympathy. I was really inspired by the experience and the judicial process (good and bad aspects) and am still in intermittent contact with the judge on my case. I'd actually consider him to be a mentor of sorts. What's the fine line?

aufhebung

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if I should include in PS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:56:50 PM »
I was a victim of a violent crime in 1998. After two trials the perp got 12 years. Although this was a huge part of my decision to pursue law school, I'm wondering if it's a bit gory for the PS. I don't know how I can avoid it, but I don't want to seem like I'm looking for sympathy. I was really inspired by the experience and the judicial process (good and bad aspects) and am still in intermittent contact with the judge on my case. I'd actually consider him to be a mentor of sorts. What's the fine line?

You've just written the outline for a pretty good ps - I wouldn't worry too much about it being too gory, just remember that the AdCom's arn't directly interested in what happened, but what effect it had on you.  If the story paints a picture of you that you want to present, I'd say go for it!

Just be careful that you're not hiding yourself behind the story

Scunning

• View Profile
Re: Not sure if I should include in PS
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 02:00:46 PM »
Believe me, I wouldn't be. I think that's why I waited so long to get the process going, because I wanted to get over the event itself. I think I'd rather be seen as 'law student who was a victim' as opposed to 'victim who wants to work through it by going to law school.' Hope that makes sense.