Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: august wilson dies  (Read 801 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
august wilson dies
« on: October 05, 2005, 11:16:14 AM »
the famed playwright, august wilson died last weekend and aye waited to see if anyone would post regarding his passing...alas...no one did.

he was one of the greatest playwrights of the 20th and 21st centuries...
"ma raineys black bottom" and "the piano lesson."
aye had an opportunity to watch him at work for quite some time a few years back...it was an honor...

broadway is dark tonight...he will be missed.

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

SWM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: august wilson dies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 04:13:48 PM »
I just saw Fences at the Louisville Actors theatre in March, or was it April.  very powerfull.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 10:19:13 AM »
Jujamcyn Theaters president Rocco Landesman — the man who brought August Wilson’s most recent play “Gem of the Ocean” to Broadway and will rename the Virginia Theater with the late playwright's name on Oct. 16 — "will produce a Broadway production of ‘Radio Golf,’ the 10th and final play in Wilson's cycle, next season," according to a statement.

“Radio Golf” debuted at Yale Repertory Theatre and has also played at the Center Theatre Group's Mark Taper Forum. The work will also be staged by Seattle Repertory Theatre and Baltimore's Centerstage with plans for Chicago's Goodman Theatre, and a possible Boston run, being discussed.

With “Radio Golf,” Wilson completed his 10-play cycle which chronicles the African American experience during each decade of the 20th century. The 1990s-set play involves real estate developers who look to tear down the home of recurring Wilson character Aunt Esther.

The epic cycle (in order of decade which the drama is set) includes “Gem of the Ocean,” “Joe Turner's Come and Gone,” “Ma Rainey's Black Bottom,” “The Piano Lesson,” “Seven Guitars,” “Fences,” “Two Trains Running,” “Jitney,” “King Hedley II” and “Radio Golf.”

All 10 of the plays have enjoyed Broadway runs, with the exception of “Jitney” and “Radio Golf.” “Jitney” scored an Off-Broadway run at Second Stage Theatre then transferred to a commercial run at the Union Square Theatre. All the Broadway productions received Tony Award nominations for Best Play with Fences taking home the prize. Wilson also garnered the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for that work and The Piano Lesson.

*Meanwhile, Phylicia Rashad has reprised her role as Aunt Esther in The McCarter Theatre's staging of “Gem of the Ocean” in New Jersey. 

The actress received a Tony nomination for her work in the production, which played Broadway's Walter Kerr Theatre Nov. 23, 2004-Feb. 6, 2005. In the McCarter engagement, Rashad stars opposite John Amos, who plays Solly Two Kings.

“Gem of the Ocean” will run at the McCarter through Oct. 30. The production marks the directorial debut of Tony Award winner Ruben Santiago Hudson.

The cast also includes Chuck Patterson (Eli), Russell Hornsby (Citizen Barlow), Roslyn Ruff (Black Mary), Raynor Scheine (Rutherford Selig) and Keith Randolph Smith (Caesar).

The production plays Tuesdays-Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday evenings at 8 p.m. with matinees on Saturdays at 3 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m.. Tickets, priced $25-$53, are available by calling (609) 258-2787 or by visiting www.mccarter.org. The McCarter Theatre is located at 91 University Place in Princeton, NJ.

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

lex19

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 11:03:13 PM »
we read fences in my 10th grade english class, at the time i had no idea of its significance or how lucky i was to have literature like it as a requirement

lex19

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 04:28:19 PM »
i think the only reason we read it was b/c my english teacher Mr. Meehan was the ish and at my school there weren't any limitations or boundaries as far as content (went over color purple in 11th grade)....to a certain extent obviously, but it was def b/c of my teacher especially since black history/significance wasn't one of my school's priorities being that we made up less than 10% of the school pop among other factors
we read fences in my 10th grade english class, at the time i had no idea of its significance or how lucky i was to have literature like it as a requirement

I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know who he was until a few months ago, when we started studying him for african-american theater class. We really weren't taught ANYTHING about black figures in high school, except maybe MLK and Rosa Parks, and even that was only an assignment during black history month for extra credit.

lex19

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 09:02:03 PM »
indeed

Same here. It's almost like black people didn't exist except during slavery or the civil rights movement.