Law School Discussion

Hardest Schools to Apply?

SWM

• View Profile
Re: Hardest Schools to Apply?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 08:02:28 AM »
Ahh... see, now that's where the rubber meets the road in this question?

What makes an app harder, a lot of stuff (i.e. Vermont and Montana) or being open-ended (i.e. Yale)?

Is an application worse because it is harder to work with (lots of stuff) or harder to deal with (little to no direction, but plenty of "options")?

I'd take "harder to deal with" because one could still organize all of their material and personal information in a packet and still make it presentable and informative. It seems to me that Montana and Vermont's decsions to require multiple personal statements are aimed at thinning their applicant pools.  more work = less applicants not really interested in attendeing but looking for a safety.  I just learned another thing about Vermont which makes their applications harrder: they request all material in a double sided format in order to conserve paper. I haven't figured out how to print my materials in that format, so i guess I will be applying via the internet. However, there might be a good side to all of this; the fact that Vermont and Montana are requiring all of these extra materials suggests that they are genuinely interested in soft factors and not just the admissions index. 

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 08:07:45 AM »
I just learned another thing about Vermont which makes their applications harrder: they request all material in a double sided format in order to conserve paper.

That's awesome.  I (heart) Vermont.  If it weren't in the middle of nowhere (even by Vermont's standards), I'd be applying to VLS.  Why it isn't in Burlington I'll never know...

SWM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 08:24:13 AM »
I just learned another thing about Vermont which makes their applications harrder: they request all material in a double sided format in order to conserve paper.

That's awesome.  I (heart) Vermont.  If it weren't in the middle of nowhere (even by Vermont's standards), I'd be applying to VLS.  Why it isn't in Burlington I'll never know...

Yeah, South Royalton is pretty rural.  Close to some pretty good skiing though.  If I end up going to school there, I'll probably try commuting from Montpelier/Barre.  It's only 30 minutes away, closer to the slopes, and the housing options are more plentiful and a lot less expensive.