Law School Discussion

YLS 250 WORD STATEMENT THREAD

k180

• View Profile
YLS 250 WORD STATEMENT THREAD
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:28:29 PM »
How are you guys doing on this statement?  How are you approaching it?  I can't seem to get mine away from being vague and boring.  Anyone else have this same issue?  Any advice?

Ligia

Re: YLS 250 WORD STATEMENT THREAD
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 07:08:39 PM »
I just PMd you mine, so you can tell me what you think when you read it...I'm having a hard time too.

TXcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 04:47:34 PM »
I was having the same trouble with being too vague/general, which made everything seem trite and awful.  I'm just forcing myself to stick to one or two short, specific "examples" as I write. 

Q:  did folks decide to treat this as a personal statement or as a truly open topic?  I've decided for the former, but I was just wondering what others had decided. 

jg983

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 01:24:56 PM »
Sorry if this is a repost; I apparently can't work a "submit" button.

My statement was totally random; it was about how my writing style changed over the course of my college career. From what I've heard, the adcoms at Yale couldn't care less about your topic. All they're looking for is evidence that a) you're able to choose something -- anything -- to write about and b) you're basically literate.

TXcal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 03:20:28 PM »
That's really helpful--it's a relief that I could be talking about Swedenborgianism and it wouldn't really matter too much.  (After reading my attempt to do a 250 personal statement I realized that it was a terrible idea and went with random as well.) 

Question from someone who doesn't chat online:  what does "FTW" mean?

jg983

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 11:23:35 PM »
Haha. It's not so much a chatting thing as a gaming thing. I'm a huge dork. It means "for the win." Yeah.