Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Example addemdum strategies for explaining a previous Low LSAT??  (Read 341 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
I was just wondering if anyone can share to give some advice for what to put on an addendum for explaining a previous low LSAT. I mean is just saying, "I was extremely sick that day" a viable explaination?? I really don't think so, although it could be valid and true, it just sounds weak. Any thoughts would be helpful both to me, and anyone else in my situation. Thanks
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

jeb240

Re: Example addemdum strategies for explaining a previous Low LSAT??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 07:55:04 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone can share to give some advice for what to put on an addendum for explaining a previous low LSAT. I mean is just saying, "I was extremely sick that day" a viable explaination?? I really don't think so, although it could be valid and true, it just sounds weak. Any thoughts would be helpful both to me, and anyone else in my situation. Thanks

Uhm, this is going to sound snide, but why are you *looking* for viable reasons for having a low LSAT score?  Don't you have one?  The fact that you say, "although it could be valid and true" sounds to me like it then must not be valid and true.  There is no point in writing an addendum regarding your "low" score unless you have a legitimate reason for trying to get them to realize that your score does not reflect your abilities and IF THAT IS NOT THE CASE AND YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID REASON FOR TRYING TO CONVINCE THEM TO DISREGARD OR REGARD LESS YOUR SCORE then you are completely shitting on all of the people who actually do have worthwhile reasons in the event that somehow the adcomms sniff your lie.

The caps and the 'tude are very harsh, perhaps unnecessarily, but between the girl on the LSAT discussion saying that she had bubbled other sections that were left incomplete after they had moved on in the LSAT and attempted to defend her behavior and the person asking if it's okay to augment their time at various jobs and someone asking whether or not they verify facts and now this -- I'm really starting to get pissed off -- why the hell are you people trying to be lawyers?

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 02:14:28 PM »
I do understand where your comming from, I am not trying to make a false excuse. But the truth is that I was ill that day. I didn't want to cancel my score b/c most times even when i'm sick I suprise my self and still do well on exams. I could just say that, and probibly will. My new score will refect, b/c i'm looking at a 20pt increase, both from studing a bit more again, and from being in well health. I was just looking for good ways to word the addendum. Thanks for your Ethical and Moral Concerns  :P  ::)  >:(
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

lava

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 02:28:12 PM »
ok, i think these kids are playing too rough.  20 pts is a big jump and i think adcomms will see that and respect that you weren't feeling up to par when you took the test the first time.  even if you could have had the sense to cancel, no one can overlook that much of a score increase.  just be truthful about your rationale and i'm sure you'll be fine.

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 02:44:43 PM »
ok, i think these kids are playing too rough.  20 pts is a big jump and i think adcomms will see that and respect that you weren't feeling up to par when you took the test the first time.  even if you could have had the sense to cancel, no one can overlook that much of a score increase.  just be truthful about your rationale and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Yeah, I never thought you were an idiot, just without scruples.  As you have explained, I'm far more okay with what you've said (not that you need me to validate your actions), although I share some sentiment with RandomGuy.  I say wait until you get your score, and if you have done remarkably better, then write that addendum.  Being sick the day of the test is a perfectly valid reason for not doing well, and if your score is that much better, than the jump only serves to valorize your argument.  In which case, short and sweet is the way to write an addendum.  Don't go into the ins and outs of why you were sick.  Just say that you did not feel well.  You chose not to cancel, but realizing that the score you did get in no way reflects your ability you chose to re-take the test and the newer score is simply far more representative.

It should not be more than a paragraph long.  Otherwise you'll just sound like you're whining and making excuses, which may or may not be the case.