Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Test center problem  (Read 3336 times)

toinore

• View Profile
Test center problem
« on: October 04, 2005, 04:12:46 PM »
Looking for some feedback- at my testing center a cellular phone went off for about 5 minutes during section 4 of the test (in my particular test this was the games section that is being scored).  Because of this distraction I am a bit worried that I may have blown a number of the games...hard to keep everything straight while looking around the room for the offending person.  My question is should I report this to the LSAC?  According to their literature, a complaint may delay the reporting of your score.  Has anyone else dealt with this in the past?  Has a complaint delayed your score?  And, if you do complain, what does that actually get you?  Any response would be appreciated. 

good livin

Re: Test center problem
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:19:57 PM »
They let me cancel six weeks after the test and gave me a free re-take after reporting something similar in June.  I'm glad I did and would recomend canceling if something caused you to lose more than a few points.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:28:42 PM »
I had someone come in right before we started (20 minutes after the report by 8.30 or you don't get in time) and a cell phone go off.  It kind of pissed me off that the proctors didn't care, but it didn't affect me.

allyreese

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 01:54:39 PM »
They let me cancel six weeks after the test and gave me a free re-take after reporting something similar in June.  I'm glad I did and would recomend canceling if something caused you to lose more than a few points.

they let you cancel after you had your score?

BearGirl

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:43:50 PM »
Ha!  You think that's bad?  Try people standing directly outside of the room screaming the chicken dance tune during reading comp!  For about two minutes before anybody made them shut the f up.   :o  And that, my friends, does not leave your head!

Sing it to yourself right now. 

10 minutes later, just shoot yourself in the head and cancel (if you are taking the LSAT of course).   ;D

Over The Hill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 07:46:22 PM »
Ha!  You think that's bad?  Try people standing directly outside of the room screaming the chicken dance tune during reading comp!  For about two minutes before anybody made them shut the f up.   :o  And that, my friends, does not leave your head!

10 minutes later, just shoot yourself in the head and cancel (if you are taking the LSAT of course).   ;D

That's why I always took my practice tests on the first floor of our library here (the noisiest floor) where I often had to cover my ears with my hands in order to maintain concentration because people were having conversations at ordinary volume, etc. It certainly prepared for all of the minor distracting noises in the testing room and then some.

BearGirl

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 08:03:27 PM »

That's why I always took my practice tests on the first floor of our library here (the noisiest floor) where I often had to cover my ears with my hands in order to maintain concentration because people were having conversations at ordinary volume, etc. It certainly prepared for all of the minor distracting noises in the testing room and then some.

Yep.  For December, I plan to study in distracting environments.  That was a major flaw in my study methods before.  For two months I studied in silence with a cig within reach.  My study plans this time around are nicotine free and plenty distracting. In fact, I plan to listen to the Chicken Dance song on repeat, just to prepare myself for any catastropic musical performances in the middle of RC.

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 12:10:55 PM »
I've been doing most of my practice tests in a busy Starbucks down the street, or in the busy library near my house. I figure, if I can score a 170 while people next to me are talking loudly about Jesus, I can do it on the actual test.

Oddly, I find that noise to be less distracting than doing it at home, where my dog will jump on and bark at me and the cat will park herself in the middle of the test paper. Plus, I just concentrate better when not at home.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Ocean Blue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 08:40:02 PM »

I took all of my practice tests at home - with my 8-month old daughter crying, crawling under the table, trying to pull herself up into my lap, etc.  Talk about distracting!  I took most of my practice tests with earplugs to try to drown out the screaming and crying when it got bad.  In my test center we had someone that had an alarm that went off for about 3 minutes that was very distracting until they tracked down the culprit, but nothing that could compare to my daughter's wailing when she gets mad ...

Yep.  For December, I plan to study in distracting environments.  That was a major flaw in my study methods before.  For two months I studied in silence with a cig within reach.  My study plans this time around are nicotine free and plenty distracting. In fact, I plan to listen to the Chicken Dance song on repeat, just to prepare myself for any catastropic musical performances in the middle of RC.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ocnblu6

168/3.62
Accepted: Michigan, UT-Austin($$$), USC, NotreDame($$$) W&L($$$), Boston U, UCLA
Pending: UVA, LLS, Duke, Penn
Rejected: Boalt, Chicago
Waitlisted: Georgetown

saltpill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 08:39:12 PM »
A guy sitting two seats behind me had a seizure when we were a few questions into section 4.  The sad thing is that we had to keep going and basically not care about the guy.  I couldn't believe it!  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who couldn't concentrate for a while.  Does the LSAC care about these situations? :-\