Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Factors to consider  (Read 1832 times)

urbanamy

• View Profile
Factors to consider
« on: June 29, 2004, 03:58:47 PM »
Hello, I'm new in here. I'd consider myself as kinda non-traditional student. I am doing research on law schools I'm interested in, but to be on safe side, I would apply more than 7 and up to 12 schools if necessary.

Is it better to apply to local law schools or go ahead and apply out of state? California has high costs of living, so I was wondering if loans would cover living expenses while attending school full time or I am better off having some kind of job first and then find a job during summer related to law? I am not aiming at first tier schools because of my overall ranking (I think) but at second, third and fourth tier schools. Right now I live in San Diego but I'm open to attend schools in L.A. (I lived in L.A. for 7 years before moving to San Diego last year). I'm not sure if I want to stay in California after I graduate unless I am offered a good opportunity to work here in Cali, then so be it.

Thanks for any input.

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Factors to consider
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »
First, apply to the best schools you can...try a few reach schools cause you never know..and dont worry about living costs too much right now.

That being said, think about where you actually want to live and work, and apply to schools there.  When i was going through the process, i narrowed it down to 4 cities in the US i was interested in and applied to schools there.  Its from that point you can worry about cost of living.

Unless you want to live in NYC in some trendy neighborhood...housing costs in major cities dont change too much (though there is some variation)