Law School Discussion

Benefits of an MS

frankm007

Benefits of an MS
« on: October 03, 2005, 12:58:06 PM »
How beneficial is an MS before applying to law school? If it's a competitive MS will it be positive to your application? Extra points for having it... easier to get into the school you received your MS?

Re: Benefits of an MS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 02:30:59 PM »
How beneficial is an MS before applying to law school? If it's a competitive MS will it be positive to your application? Extra points for having it... easier to get into the school you received your MS?

It is certainly a positive factor, but not as much as some people think.  From what I have seen a competitive graduate program will help offset a less than stellar undergrad transcript but can do very little for a low LSAT score. 

King80s

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 02:45:33 PM »

what do you mean by 'competitive MS'?

My guess is it depends on the candidate pool the MS candidate is being compared against.  At lower ranked schools it might provide some secondary pluses.  looking at the top 20 schools im considering, i don't expect my MS in engineering to mean squat.

trout

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 05:17:01 PM »
I have basically heard the same response.  I got my masters in accounting from a top ranked program and was told it really wouldnt help me all that much.  They said that my work experience since it is relevant, litigation consultant, would help more.   I am just wondering if being a CPA helps me out at all????  But like everyone said it doesnt matter unless you do well on the LSAT.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 08:55:07 PM »
Where being a CPA will help you is in the actual practice of law.  A lawyer who is also an accountant must be of special value to someone out there.