Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about Criminal background disclosure, thank you  (Read 776 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Question about Criminal background disclosure, thank you
« on: October 03, 2005, 03:24:47 PM »
I already know (I called my laywer) I must disclose my criminal background to the law school even though my record was expunged. I was 19 when I got a DUI, I never was convicted, nor pleaded any guilt, and the record was expunged. What my question is, is do you think I should appologize for my actions, when in a legal sense I was never found guilty nor convicted. Or should I just explain the facts of the case. Her is the copy of the disclosure addendum that I will write. What I want you guys to tell me is if I should or should NOT include the last sentance where I try to assume guilt. Even though right above it, in the facts of the case, I never gave admittance of guilt.  Thanks for your imput.

Disclosure Addendum

On July 29th 2002 at the age of 19, I was arrested of drinking and driving. I was not convicted, I went on probation without any admittance of guilt, charges were dismissed and the arrest was completely expunged from my record. In good faith of true disclosure I felt it necessary to provide this information. I truly recognize how big a mistake it was and subsequently became a large advocate against drinking and driving. 

Thank you,
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Lucky77

Re: Question about Criminal background disclosure, thank you
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 03:50:41 PM »
Unless you joined MADD or something, I would leave out the subsequently became a large advocate against drinking and driving part. You gotta back it up. I would also reword "without admittance of guilt", sounds like you just got out of it easy.

qwertyytrewq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 04:10:58 PM »
if it went to court there is a docket number. i'm pretty sure you need to add that as well. 

some schools...brooklyn and u miami or florida, i forget specifically, ask for dispositions in which case u need to contact the court to get a copy and send it to the school u applied to...law school gets quite official like that.

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 04:47:27 PM »
If you were never convicted, you don't even need to disclose, at least as to some schools.
Penn Law Class of '09

Lucky77

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 05:32:55 PM »
Yes you do. At almost all schools you need to. If you listen to this guy, you might get into law school, but you won't get admitted to the bar.

adviseme

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 06:01:44 PM »
Yes you do. At almost all schools you need to. If you listen to this guy, you might get into law school, but you won't get admitted to the bar.

FULL DISCLOSURE!!!!!!

SWM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 06:12:06 PM »
You might want to be more specific regarding the date of your court appearance, length of the probation, circumstances surrounding the DUI, etc. I'd also leave out the bit about your acquiring personal redemption through "recognizing how big a mistake you made"  It seems to me that the ADCOMS are looking for specific inmformation pertaining to the circumstance, and not an apology for the crime.  Make it sound like a police report - like a discovery.  I know what your going through man, i've wrestled with this one too; I was just convicted of DUI in August.

segundo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:08:16 PM »
Some applications only ask if you have been convicted or gone to trial. Was you case dropped or did it go to trial?
BC class of 06'
-----------------
3.4 G.P.A.
162 (June)
166 (October)

Attending Fall 2006: Wake Forest

SkullTatt

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 08:37:43 PM »
I would carefully read the instructions on your application. Usually schools are pretty specific about what they want to know.

qwertyytrewq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 08:45:51 PM »
i have one offense and one summons...that i am reporting to schools that specifically ask if you have ever been convicted of a violation of law or similar language.  if they ask have you been convicted of a crime i say no because i spoke to teh courts for reach issue and they both said the offenses are not crimes. 

you should check the language of hte question and double and triple check with the courts.  also call the bar association of the state you want to practice in and find out about reporting to schools that dont require and answer and if it will affect your character assessment