Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 'Introduction to Logic by I Copi' - anyone read?  (Read 1706 times)

newposter

• View Profile
'Introduction to Logic by I Copi' - anyone read?
« on: June 29, 2004, 02:47:24 PM »
Is this book any good for LR ? it's got excellent reviews on amazon.com.

Louder Than Bombs

Re: 'Introduction to Logic by I Copi' - anyone read?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 02:49:31 PM »
Actually, I own this book...I've never read it, but I loaned it to a student who was having trouble with formal logic and he said it was very helpful...HTH.

Chris

Victor

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 03:08:50 PM »
Is this book any good for LR ? it's got excellent reviews on amazon.com.

Yeah I have it. I used it for my logic class.

I wouldnt bother studying it though. Why use a big textbook to study for the LR?

I dont even know how it can help for the LR, i figured it would be a little beneficial if you want help on the Logic games.

Besides it will only confuse you. But if you insist on using the book I would at least use it in a logic class where a professor can assist you.

newposter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 04:21:42 PM »
 LR - so no books can help?

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bow ties: quintessential legal fashion accessories
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 11:54:03 PM »
I was advised to get my hands on this very book for formal logic review, so I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Like many on these boards, I'm skeptical that reviewing such a text will help much with the logical reasoning section on the LSAT, though I certainly don't see how it could hurt. A good review course or review text (the one I know is PR's "Cracking the LSAT") probably gives what you need to know to do well on this section. A crash course in logic might fill your head with unnecessary information. If you don't know how to diagram contrapositive "if/then" statements, however, now is the time to learn. Princeton Review (the $1200 course, not the book) has helped me with that!  ;D

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 04:53:52 AM »
You don't need a whole course in formal logic.  The only things that will be really useful to you in the LR section are negating the assumption, and contrapositives. You need not read an entire book or take a course on formal logic to master those basic concepts.

If you are genuinely interested in formal logic, and have the time, sure, go ahead and read the book or take the class.  But, why would you waste your time reading/studying a great deal of information that is neither interesting or useful?

ruskiegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 04:54:34 AM »
You don't need a whole course in formal logic.  The only things that will be really useful to you in the LR section are negating the assumption, and contrapositives. You need not read an entire book or take a course on formal logic to master those basic concepts.

If you are genuinely interested in formal logic, and have the time, sure, go ahead and read the book or take the class.  But, why would you waste your time reading/studying a great deal of information that is neither interesting or useful?