Law School Discussion

Welcome new class... and Pbbblt.

__

• Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
Welcome new class... and Pbbblt.
« on: June 29, 2004, 08:11:50 AM »
Where are all myfriends... we have one week left.  I guess I'm kinda burnt out on the topic, but I feel like we're in Borad limbo, and we don't belong anywhere yet.  So hi guys and have a good last week. :)

nathanielmark

Re: Welcome new class... and Pbbblt.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 08:15:18 AM »
yeah, ive tried to convince myself i dont care anymore.  it almost seems to be working.  the less analysis the better. 

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 08:18:35 AM »
what are you guys thinking for timeline this summer?  get your personal statement and LOR's ready and apply in, say, sept.?  just looking at a few schools websites, i see the deadlines for applications, but no mention of when they start accepting them.

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 08:21:24 AM »
im sending out apps a couple days before oct 1st which is when the schools i am looking at take them (i think) 1 LOR down, 1 will be done in august when prof comes back from europe.  PS is done, just needs to be refined.  academic resume, and answers to questions regarding ECs and Honors need to be completed also.

what are you guys thinking for timeline this summer?  get your personal statement and LOR's ready and apply in, say, sept.?  just looking at a few schools websites, i see the deadlines for applications, but no mention of when they start accepting them.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 08:34:28 AM »
eggs, any recommendations for books or guides before i get going on my personal statement?  i think keeping it simple will be my biggest challenge.  i tend to pack too much information into my writing, sometimes to the detriment of focus and impact.

by the way, this two weeks has felt like an eternity, hasnt it?  i've been extremely busy at work which has taken my mind off of the test for the most part.  when i think back to walking out of the test center two mondays ago, i cant ever remember how i felt; it seems like so long ago.  i do remember thinking i bombed it,  but i cant really remember why... anyway, my point is, if we think this three week has been bad, imagine when we send those applications off in sept. with the possibility of up to six MONTHS before hearing the results.  thats gonna be torture.

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 08:39:10 AM »
I just picked up the new Montauk book and think it is worth reading.  as for PS, i dont have much advice.  i wrote about not graduating high school and turning my life around.  if i did not have that story to tell im not sure what i would write about.  but the montauk book is great.  i wish i had had it before i got my first LOR from my boss, but oh well.

eggs, any recommendations for books or guides before i get going on my personal statement?  i think keeping it simple will be my biggest challenge.  i tend to pack too much information into my writing, sometimes to the detriment of focus and impact.

by the way, this two weeks has felt like an eternity, hasnt it?  i've been extremely busy at work which has taken my mind off of the test for the most part.  when i think back to walking out of the test center two mondays ago, i cant ever remember how i felt; it seems like so long ago.  i do remember thinking i bombed it,  but i cant really remember why... anyway, my point is, if we think this three week has been bad, imagine when we send those applications off in sept. with the possibility of up to six MONTHS before hearing the results.  thats gonna be torture.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 08:45:30 AM »
i wish montauck had a book titled, "how to get into a tier three lawschool: an idiots guide to applying to law school."

eggs-  the title of the book is "how to get into top law schools".  after reading it, is it really geared toward getting into tier 1 schools only, or do you think it is applicable to anyone who's applying (for instance, someone who is trying to sneak into a tier 3). 

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 08:51:34 AM »
i really do think the strategies he has will benefit anyone. 

i wish montauck had a book titled, "how to get into a tier three lawschool: an idiots guide to applying to law school."

eggs-  the title of the book is "how to get into top law schools".  after reading it, is it really geared toward getting into tier 1 schools only, or do you think it is applicable to anyone who's applying (for instance, someone who is trying to sneak into a tier 3). 

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 09:50:31 AM »
I've been bored as hell all week.  The time is dragging by so slowly. It doesn't help that Thrusday is my last day of work for over a week.  Friday's my birthday, and then I took the week of the 4th off.  I keep telling myself only 3 more days of work. 

I should have all my LORs in within a month or so.  I already have one from before I graduated, I asked one of the attorneys I work for to write me one, and I had asked one of my profs that I took a couple classes with for one back in March, told him I'm applying in the fall, so if the rec could be in sometime in the summer, that'd be great.  No rec yet, and I haven't heard from him.  I'm sending him an email this week or next to see what's up.  I hope he hasn't died.  :-\

And I've read a couple of books on writing your PS.  I haven't started yet, but I have a couple of ideas in mind.  Whether or not they're good ideas is an issue all of it's own.  I'm thinking I may start it while I'm on vacation.  I may see if anyone would be interested in reading a rough draft to tell me if the idea's crap or not, but that'll be on the PS board.

I'm also doing fairly well not thinking about the damn lsat.  I've optimistically given all my prep stuff to a friend, on the condition that I can take it back July 6th if I need it.  Hopefully she can keep all of it. :)

lexylit

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 09:55:26 AM »
pross-- my guess is any time youre reaching, or just want to secure your chances, the strategies and dos/donts for top schools will apply all the way down the line.

i read some cheesy kaplan book on "applying to law school" cover to cover last night while at the gym. it wasnt bad actually. for me those books are usually more important for peace of mind than for actually teaching me much, but i think even for a couple of new tips that you didnt realize, theyre not bad.

as for timeline, figuring that out-- drafted my PS and am emailing profs preliminarily, so that by the time i ask for recs ive got my PS all done to send them. realized i need to get my resume down to 1 page from more than 2.

so one thing this book said was, dont apply TOO early or youll get lost in the shuffle of incoming students' materials. which, as weve been gabbing about on other threads, is tricky since some schools arent really publishing the date they begin accepting apps (we know stanford and a couple others are sept 1, others not til oct).