Law School Discussion

Case Western or Baylor?

Case Western or Baylor?
« on: June 29, 2004, 06:53:52 AM »
I'm having a hard time w/ this decision.  Would appreciate some advice.

--Don't really care about location.
--Prefer a large school w/ many programs (BU) but also prefer large city over small one (Case).
--Am on the left politically and a little put off by Baylor's conservative rep.
--Am interested in public interest/labor law but open to trying for a job at a private firm.
--Have roughly 1/2 tuition scholarship from Case and nothing from BU.
--Would ultimately prefer not to practice in either OH or TX.

I have to decide where to submit a 2nd deposit today (can't afford to commit to both).  Is either of these schools' reputations significantly better than the other?  Would a degree from one travel better than one from the other?  Opinions, please!!

Re: Case Western or Baylor?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 07:49:57 AM »
Waco SUCKS, and I heard Cleveland is actually pretty cool. I have a friend who goes to Case, and although I don't know how common this is, he's looking at jobs in both L.A. and Atlanta. If you are on the left politically, Waco is not the greatest place to hang out, except for the fact that it's only 1 1/2 hrs from Austin. Unless the cold would bother you too much, it seems like a no-brainer: take the money from Case. I applied and got into Case, and I live and work at a firm in Atlanta, and all of the attorneys here felt that it has a great reputation. One of our partners even went there. I don't know, I'd say Case for sure, but you gotta decide.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 11:13:22 AM »
Thanks.  I think I agree w/ you; I just worry that Baylor, being a bigger school, carries more weight nationally than Case.  The money is definitely hard to turn down.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 11:21:57 AM »
Go to Case.  This is a no-brainer.  The schools are roughly equivalent.  Cleveland's the better city and you're getting money to boot.  Personally, I would choose Case even without the scholarship.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 01:19:49 PM »
Definitely pick Case if you want a degree that travels.  I almost went there and can tell you these two things:

1.  In the legal establishment Case is very highly regarded.  This includes the entire northeast and large cities.  No better place to learn labor/health/employment law than Case.  Cleveland is rife with unions and the clinical opportunities there likely abound.

2.  Baylor is a superb Texas school for becoming a trial lawyer.

Both will likely provide good opportunities but placement is one of Case's strengths.  I was so impressed by their admissions folk and the campus and everything.

They are really slugging it out to keep their program competitive with the best.  Cleveland is their main liability because of its rust belt image.  I imagine if the school was geographically located somewhere better, it would way outrank Baylor on USNWR.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 10:27:57 AM »
Thanks a bunch for the responses.  isaacgames, do you mind my asking where you ended up?  I'm waitlisted at several higher ranked schools and doing everything I can to get in, but it's looking more and more like Case is my destination.  I'm curious as to whether your options were similar to mine.

LambdaChi03

• BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 12:10:38 PM »
Screw Case!  It's a rancid TTT!  Sic 'em Bears!

J.P.

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 02:10:34 PM »
Isaacgames, not that I doubt your info, but what led you to believe that a degree from Case Western travels, especially in the northeat?  I'm about to start the application process and I'm looking for a school that doesn't specifically lock their graduates in to a particular area following graduation.  I am from the NYC area and although I have no desire to attend law school around here, I can't rule out returning home in a few years to practice.  Any info you have would be greatly appreciated, as all the research I have been done thus far has led me to think that I unfortunatley have to stay local if I plan on woerking the the greater NYC area.  Also, I graduated with a 3.55 and assume I will be scoring in the mid to high 150's on my LSATs next week.  How does it look for me in terms of getting in?  Thanks so much in advance..

JP

ruskiegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 02:17:13 PM »
I am going to vote for Baylor.  If you believe in the ranking system, you're comparing the top school in T2 vs a marginal T3 school.  Rankings aside, Baylor has much more name recognition nationally and is a superb school.  It has higher Bar passage rates than UT Austin and the placement rates of Baylor grads are comparable to those of UT Austin grads. 

Unless Case has a clinical program or something you are intersted in that is recognized as a leader in that field, I would definitely stick to Baylor. 

Money is imporant, but do you want to limit your money-making opportunities for the next 25 years because you decided to save a few bucks up front?  I chose Berkeley over a full ride and a stipend to Stetson University in Florida, and to this day I have no regrets.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 03:27:08 PM »
I am going to vote for Baylor.  If you believe in the ranking system, you're comparing the top school in T2 vs a marginal T3 school.  Rankings aside, Baylor has much more name recognition nationally and is a superb school.  It has higher Bar passage rates than UT Austin and the placement rates of Baylor grads are comparable to those of UT Austin grads. 

Unless Case has a clinical program or something you are intersted in that is recognized as a leader in that field, I would definitely stick to Baylor. 

Money is imporant, but do you want to limit your money-making opportunities for the next 25 years because you decided to save a few bucks up front?  I chose Berkeley over a full ride and a stipend to Stetson University in Florida, and to this day I have no regrets.

Are you referring to Case as a Tier 3?
Baylor is ranked #50 and Case #57