Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone else going to apply to Toledo?  (Read 1060 times)

Lucky77

Re: Anyone else going to apply to Toledo?
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 10:14:30 PM »
Am I the only one who's bothered by a school that changes part-time to full-time in the winter, to up their numbers? Seems pretty unethical to me.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 10:29:16 PM »
I don't think it is unethical at all. It is crafty and if anything shows what kind of a joke rankings are to begin with. The only thing ethically that bothers me is the way they portray the program to the students in it. When I got admitted they sent me this letter that made it seem like they were doing me a huge favor by accepting me and that I had would need a light load to succeed. I thought WOW I cant believe I got into Toledo! I was expecting maybe like 20 people to be in the program, but I think it is more like 40 in it.

But yea, they are claiming 155-162 LSAT range for full time day. It makes me wonder if that will be enough to crack back into the top 100.

Keeton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »
Am I the only one who's bothered by a school that changes part-time to full-time in the winter, to up their numbers? Seems pretty unethical to me.

You've got a good point. However, it's possible that UT cares enough to design something like this to help students w/ lower numbers adjust to law school. Maybe it's good for the school and good for the students? 
Besides they're ranked as a third tier school anyway. I'm not even sure if they've moved in the rankings at all in the past couple years since the 3rd tier isn't ranked individually.

utoledostudent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »
"2. Do you know if UT ever has any open houses or anything? I've been trying to find out but have been told they only do it for admitted students."

Unfortunately, they do not have an open house.  You could schedule a tour and also sit in a class to get a feel for the environment.

"3. The part time day program doesn't sound that bad. Is it something you apply for or do they put you in it?"

You cannot apply for the program.  The typically put individuals into the program who have a higher LSAT/lower GPA or vice versa.

utoledostudent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 11:50:30 PM »
"I'm not even sure if they've moved in the rankings at all in the past couple years since the 3rd tier isn't ranked individually."

We were in the second tier last year.  Currently, we are at the top of the third tier.  As you mentioned, the third tier schools are not ranked, however, the individual schools receive notice as to how they were ranked.  Our Dean held a meeting after the new rankings were published and informed the student body of our ranking, why we dropped, and what they are doing to help the school climb back into the second tier.

utoledostudent

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 11:29:20 AM »

The sole purpose of the transitional program at The University of Toledo is not to up our numbers.  It may have an effect on the U.S. News Ranking, however, that is not the main purpose of our program.  The transitional program is really there to help students who may face more difficulties adjusting to the work load ease into law school by giving them fewer classes but also allowing them to graduate on time.  As a current student, I have seen how beneficial the program is to those individual in it and support it whole wholeheartedly.  So, no, I do not think it is unethical for our school to give this opportunity to students that qualify for it.

Keeton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 10:56:45 PM »

The sole purpose of the transitional program at The University of Toledo is not to up our numbers.  It may have an effect on the U.S. News Ranking, however, that is not the main purpose of our program.  The transitional program is really there to help students who may face more difficulties adjusting to the work load ease into law school by giving them fewer classes but also allowing them to graduate on time.  As a current student, I have seen how beneficial the program is to those individual in it and support it whole wholeheartedly.  So, no, I do not think it is unethical for our school to give this opportunity to students that qualify for it.

Thanks for all that info.  How is it possible though to still graduate on time if you get put in the transitional program?  Do you have to take summer classes. I thought the summer after your 1L year you have to work, so you can find get a job for 2L summer.

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 01:26:30 AM »
You take Torts and Property spring term leaving you only July and August to work. It isn't imperative to work 1L summer in order to get a good job 2L summer. If your grades are there then you will be fine. Since you have a legitimate reason for not working, I don't think anyone would hold it against you. Also if the transitional program gets your grades up, I'd say you are better off with a higher GPA and no work experience than you are with a lower GPA and pushed papers all summer as a 1L intern.

I plan on contacting some attorneys that I know after Spring term is over and asing them if I can just bum around the office for a couple months and get some experience. *&^%, Ill even work for free. I do want some level of experience to draw some BS from during OCI 2nd year.

utoledostudent

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 11:28:17 PM »
Thanks for all that info.  How is it possible though to still graduate on time if you get put in the transitional program?  Do you have to take summer classes. I thought the summer after your 1L year you have to work, so you can find get a job for 2L summer.

The transitional program is designed so that you can graduate on time.  Typically, you will take a part-time load during your fall semester, switch to full-time during the winter semester, and make up two classes during the summer semester.  You'll be on track to graduate with your class if you decide to switch to full-time after your second semester and take the two summer classes.

Our career service stresses that it is NOT mandatory that you work during the summer after your first year.  The Dean and Career Service director suggest that if you are going to take a summer off then summer after first year is the only chance to do so.  So, a lot of people do take that opporunity to travel, get married, take classes, or what have you.