Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Iraqi Sovereignty???  (Read 1448 times)

ruskiegirl

Iraqi Sovereignty???
« on: June 28, 2004, 09:38:35 PM »
So G Dub supposedly handed over sovereignty to the newly established Iraqi government.

How sovereign is Iraq going to be with US troops on the ground there?

Do you think this was a move to offset a lot of the criticism against the Bush administration charging that there was a hidden agenda and that America was occupying Iraq rather than liberating it?

Ginatio

Re: Iraqi Sovereignty???
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 09:44:10 PM »
nah. it was a step that was necessary for the iraqis to take on the road to democracy and real sovereignty.

and the reason they surprised everyone by doing it today as opposed to the declared date was to stem any full-blown uprisals and violence that was undoubtedly being planned for the actual date.

smart move on their part, actually... one of the smartest things they've done this whole war.

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 09:50:44 PM »
South Korea and Japan did just fine with US troops there.

At least in South Korea, while many nationalists have claimed the repressive regimes that ruled Korea until the 90s were supported by the US, this is not entirely true.  The US has been pretty hands off in Korea since the Korean War.

Hopefully Iraq can flourish into a prosperous democracy like Germany, Japan, or South Korea

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:31:06 PM »
When I think of prosperous democracy, South Korea definitely doesn't come to mind.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 05:11:49 AM »
Snap!

Though to modify the best asains thread, who are the best asian democracys? SK's gotta be near the top of that short list.

True handover was to avoid preplanned attacks, but you know it reads to the majority of americans (knuckle dragging fat assed hunchbacks) like the proccess is going great, "look, we're way ahead of schedule, everything is going great!"
it's coming...

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 12:18:19 PM »
when the iraqi government disagrees with the US we will find out if this is real sovereignty.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:22:54 PM »
when the iraqi government disagrees with the US we will find out if this is real sovereignty.
Good point.  I'd also like to see how involved the US is going to be in the trials of Saddam and the high-ranking officials who will be handed over into Iraqi custody tomorrow.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 12:43:18 PM »
I suspect we will not 'see' their involvement in Saddam's trial.

Good point.  I'd also like to see how involved the US is going to be in the trials of Saddam and the high-ranking officials who will be handed over into Iraqi custody tomorrow.

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 01:02:46 PM »
Maybe this says a lot about Iraq sovereignty.  Iraq will have custody of Saddam, but the guards will be American.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 01:04:10 PM »
I just noticed this....I like your LSAT score, jeffjoe. ;)