Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Difference between the tiers  (Read 1824 times)

SCgrad

Difference between the tiers
« on: September 30, 2005, 08:24:38 AM »
Is there a real difference between the tiers?  Is the bottom of tier one more better than the top of tier two than the schools just ahead of the bottom of tier one are better than the bottom of tier one?  I know that sentence is really awful.  Why the hell are there specific tiers anyway?  Who would say Yale and lets just say U of Washington are at the same level?  The more essence of my question is this: If I only get into UT (Tenn) and UNC, should I go to UNC.  It is towards the bottom of tier one, and UT is near the top of tier two.  UT is one of the best deals in Law School (for in state, which I am), how big is the difference between these schools?

Lucky77

Re: Difference between the tiers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 05:39:51 PM »
you should worry less about ranking and more about the specific program. Bottom of one tier and top of another is irrelevant and will most likely change come the next USNEWS ranking. If your that concerned with ranking, check historically how each school has fared, rather than 1 year.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 05:34:04 PM »

Most schools outside the top 25 are more regional, so focus more on where you want to work than absolute ranking.

Is there a real difference between the tiers?  Is the bottom of tier one more better than the top of tier two than the schools just ahead of the bottom of tier one are better than the bottom of tier one?  I know that sentence is really awful.  Why the hell are there specific tiers anyway?  Who would say Yale and lets just say U of Washington are at the same level?  The more essence of my question is this: If I only get into UT (Tenn) and UNC, should I go to UNC.  It is towards the bottom of tier one, and UT is near the top of tier two.  UT is one of the best deals in Law School (for in state, which I am), how big is the difference between these schools?

TROLL BLASTER

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 07:11:40 PM »
lsatrules! is S.J. here!

Just thought you might all want to know!

Here's a link to all of S.J.'s posts-
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?action=profile;u=4408

and here's one to lsatrules!-
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php?action=profile;u=10591

SAME DAMN PERSON! He should at least change his writing style.  Loser!

Most schools outside the top 25 are more regional, so focus more on where you want to work than absolute ranking.

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 10:21:32 AM »
tenness and unc aren't ranked closely.  unc is about 25 spots ahead and has somewhat of a national rep.  the vast majority of firms put unc well above ut.  that said, if you want to work in tennessee, ut is as good or better than unc.  the same could be true for states on the w/nw border of tennessee... on second thought, definitely just go to ut, i want that out of state spot at chapel hill