Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying through LSAC v. applying online directly  (Read 592 times)

hxwop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Applying through LSAC v. applying online directly
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:38:40 PM »
What are the pros and cons of applying through lsac or just applying through the law school's website?

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
Re: Applying through LSAC v. applying online directly
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:52:17 PM »
LSAC pros

1. common information form fills in a lot of the apps for you. 
2. PDF attachment capability.
3. I have had 0 problems with it.

<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

Lucky77

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »
LSAC cons:

1) it takes longer (they say 2-4 weeks) for it to be sent to the school (or whatever that means).

A lot of schools on their website say its much quicker and sometimes preferred to apply via their own site.

I think you are fine either way though.

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 02:57:46 PM »
LSAC cons:

1) it takes longer (they say 2-4 weeks) for it to be sent to the school (or whatever that means).

A lot of schools on their website say its much quicker and sometimes preferred to apply via their own site.

I think you are fine either way though.

Do you mean it can take 2-4 weeks for it to go to "transmitted" or that it can take 2-4 weeks from when it says transmitted?

verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

winstonsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 03:31:46 PM »
LSAC website says apps are transmitted within 48 hours, usually sooner. It does say that a hard copy will be sent within about 3 weeks and that some schools dont consider the application to be "received" until they get the hard copy. Doesnt say which schools this would apply to. The app would be exactly the same and the whole point of having electronic apps is that it saves the school time in entering the info into their system so cant imagine why they wouldnt go ahead and start processing your app as soon as they receive the electronic copy.
Maybe I'm totally off though?

Lucky77

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 03:33:35 PM »
I'm really not sure. I've read it on a few websites, though. If I wasn't at working goofin around I'd try and find it for you.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 05:27:03 PM »
I filled it out using the LSAC service, but after that printed them all out and mailed them myself. I think it gets to the schools quicker. Any thoughts about mailing them yourself versus electronic ommittance. ?
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

steve112sms

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - steve112sms
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 05:38:59 PM »
Looking through U of Chicago's site today I noticed they encourage you to do it through their site.
"Applicants who submit their applications electronically via the LSACD on the Web should note that it can take up to fourteen days for the Admissions Office to receive a paper copy of their applications. Their applications will not be deemed received (for purposes of the Early or Regular Decision deadlines) until our Admissions Office has received a paper copy from the Law School Admission Council (LSAC)."

"Online Application: The Law School also provides an online application for its students at https://grad-application.uchicago.edu/
intro/law/intro1.cfm. An online application will be processed faster and is more reliable than a paper application, so we encourage you to use this option. "

Given that it's already the end of September and I haven't even sent in my transcripts or LOR's yet, I'm pretty sure this is the option I'll be going for at least for this school. I guess if you're already on the ball, then 14 days isn't a big deal, but I want complete applications before mid-November and I'm already fairly behind.

Lucky77

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 05:39:29 PM »
I did that for a lot schools because I was applying with fee waivers and you couldnt submit it online. I've only had good experiences with it thus far, and I think your right - they process it quicker.

Lucky77

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 05:40:31 PM »
I applied on Chicago's website and I'm already complete  ;D