Law School Discussion

when should i take the lsat? please help!

when should i take the lsat? please help!
« on: September 29, 2005, 09:29:59 AM »
I'm a junior, and I was planning on taking the LSAT on Saturday.  I studied on my own in the summer with the LGB and LRB, and I've pretty much been getting around the mid to high 160's on the practice tests.  I've decided not to take the October exam because I want to break at least 170 on the actual test.  So here's my dilemma...should I wait until June and take it when most other juniors take it?  I've taken a lot of the tests already and I feel like that's a long time to wait.  And apparently the writing section is going to be scored in June '06, so I have some hesitations about that.  Would I be better off taking it in February or December instead?  And would taking the Powerscore full-length course be helpful considering I've read the two books on my own?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.   :)

katrina at law

Re: when should i take the lsat? please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 09:55:48 AM »
You should take it when you are the most prepared.  Don't take it in June just because that is when other people your age are taking it.  When do you plan to apply for law school-- that also factors in your timeline.  If you are applying for admission to Fall 2006, then the latest you should take it is December. 

As for the class, I've found that taking a class can be very helpful for those who need a structured environment in order to learn; there are a lot of materials/test questions, etc.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 09:35:35 PM »
I wouldn't wait until June to take it...you'll be burned out on the LSAT by then. A course isn't a bad idea, but since you've already used Powerscore's books, their class would probably be redundant. Sometimes having a different viewpoint on the test can be the difference that gets you up over 170. A friend of mine took Princeton Review and gave it a solid thumbs up. I can't remember her score but she did very well and got into her first choice school. Dunno what else she did to prep, tho.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 10:07:57 PM »
I wouldn't suggest taking a course at this point (at least one with other concepts, like PR), after working with the LGB/LRB for so long, the different strategies would most likely do you more harm than good. My suggestion would be to keep working with the bibles/practice tests, and taking the December or February LSAT (or wait until you think you are ready).