Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Myth: It doesn't matter where you go to law school  (Read 1727 times)

Lucky77

Re: Myth: It doesn't matter where you go to law school
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 03:49:13 PM »
Lucky - it is actually the case that some people don't want to make lots of money.  I don't!  I mean what would I do with it?  I'm sure I could figure out something but really I have no desire to be rich as I feel it would be so easy to get into a mindset that I don't want.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Though you may not desire to be rich, I sincerely doubt you'd turn down a 10 figure job doing what you love, for the pure fact that "you don't want to rich"

aufhebung

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 04:02:01 PM »
About the Michigan/American thing - the more I look into it, the more surprised I am at just how regional law schools are.

And no, I'm not saying anything particularly about THESE two schools, and I don't want someone to post a poll asking if either one is better than Ave Maria, but if you do some searches on Martindale I think some people might be surprised.  heck, I know it's surprising the hell out of me.

I think it probably has to do with recruiting.  if you're a firm in DC, you're more likely to send your reps out to American than somewhere further away, and no matter WHERE you go to school there will be more firms recruiting from the region than from further away.

Then think about it from the firms point of view - if you can fill your 2l summer, and new associate classes with qualified applicants from in-town, I bet it would take an awful lot to make you want to look at resume's that were sent in my mail.  this might not really apply to the top schools (like michigan, I know.  and if your resume says harvard, they'll probably spend a little time) but I'll bet it has a powerful influence on students from, say, Emory and American. 

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 09:16:57 PM »
Word.
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:04:20 AM »
About the Michigan/American thing - the more I look into it, the more surprised I am at just how regional law schools are.

And no, I'm not saying anything particularly about THESE two schools, and I don't want someone to post a poll asking if either one is better than Ave Maria, but if you do some searches on Martindale I think some people might be surprised.  heck, I know it's surprising the hell out of me.

I think it probably has to do with recruiting.  if you're a firm in DC, you're more likely to send your reps out to American than somewhere further away, and no matter WHERE you go to school there will be more firms recruiting from the region than from further away.

Then think about it from the firms point of view - if you can fill your 2l summer, and new associate classes with qualified applicants from in-town, I bet it would take an awful lot to make you want to look at resume's that were sent in my mail.  this might not really apply to the top schools (like michigan, I know.  and if your resume says harvard, they'll probably spend a little time) but I'll bet it has a powerful influence on students from, say, Emory and American. 

Obviously, any decent school will have a lot of local firms interviewing on campus.  The difference is that the major D.C. firms will mainly just take the top students from American, and will go far deeper into the class at the top 15 schools. 

Outside of the top 15, however, your point about regional preferences is of course very valid.  There's little reason to choose a 20-50 school over American if you want to work in D.C., and you'd probably actually be disadvantaged if you did so.

SkullTatt

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 07:50:46 AM »
My Northwestern interviewer, who is also a recruiter for his biglaw firm, gave me some unsolicited career advice: go to the best school you can. It really does matter. If you can get into a top 20 school, you should go.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 08:14:06 AM »
My Northwestern interviewer, who is also a recruiter for his biglaw firm, gave me some unsolicited career advice: go to the best school you can. It really does matter. If you can get into a top 20 school, you should go.

Again, anyone who doesn't know this by now is simply not paying attention, and probably never will. (Or has other reasons for claiming otherwise.)

The possible excpetion is if you get a full ride at a strong regional program, and are happy staying in that region. 

Also, some schools on the edge of the top 20 (notre dame, minnesota) are not really as national as some higher ranked schools, and even UCLA/USC/Vandy are more regional in their dominance.  Fordham, for example, is probably better than UCLA/USC for NYC.  But when you're talking about the top 10 / top 15, they generally have an edge in pretty much every market over every school outside the top 20.

SkullTatt

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 08:17:47 AM »
Right -- I was merely passing on a comment I got from a person who can speak from real-world experience -- as opposed to you.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 08:23:28 AM »
Right -- I was merely passing on a comment I got from a person who can speak from real-world experience -- as opposed to you.

Actually, I can also speak from real-world experience, but your ignorant sarcasm is certainly appreciated.   :)

aufhebung

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 08:23:37 AM »

Again, anyone who doesn't know this by now is simply not paying attention, and probably never will. (Or has other reasons for claiming otherwise.)

The possible excpetion is if you get a full ride at a strong regional program, and are happy staying in that region. 

Also, some schools on the edge of the top 20 (notre dame, minnesota) are not really as national as some higher ranked schools, and even UCLA/USC/Vandy are more regional in their dominance.  Fordham, for example, is probably better than UCLA/USC for NYC.  But when you're talking about the top 10 / top 15, they generally have an edge in pretty much every market over every school outside the top 20.

Exactly - the ranks collapse as you drop below the top schools - the question is at what point.  For example, I think that if you can get into Northwestern, god bless, but if not and you wanted to work in Boston you'd be crazy to go to 2nd tier Mercer or Nebrasca over 4th Tier Suffolk.

The question that haunts us all is WHERE the national v. regional divide is on that USNews list we've all spent so much time with.  This has been discussed a lot on this board already, but I think it's somewhere around the high 20's low 30's, with some notable exceptions.  

werbz

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evil Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 08:28:28 AM »
*yawn*