Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to Do  (Read 632 times)

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
What to Do
« on: September 28, 2005, 08:01:58 PM »
Someone suggested that I post this over here, so here it goes:

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and was wondering if you all could give me some suggestions.  I'm currently considering law school and had some questions.

1) I've been out of school for 4 years, I've spent that time 2 years being a stay at home mom and the past 2 years working.  I could use my current supervisor for one LOR but don't know who else to use.  I'm not sure if my teachers will remember me at this point.

2) MY UGPA is 3.25, I started off great (honor's society), went through a rough time toward the middle and ended up slowly picking it up.  What would I need to get on the LSAT to get into either Rutger's-Newark (could literally walk there from my job), Seton Hall (would have to take the bus but is still doable), or Fordham (not near enough for me but would afford me a greater chance of employment upon graduation)
Now, I only have an interest in working in NJ and would probably go into being a Law Guardian, would either Rutger's Newark or Seton Hall afford me the same probability of working in this field in NJ as Fordham (which is more into corporate law)

3)I would need to work full-time and go to school part-time since I have a young (kindergarten age child).  All of the above schools have part time programs.

Any suggestions or advice would be great, thanks  ;D

SkullTatt

Re: What to Do
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 01:27:20 PM »
I would recommend plugging your GPA and guesstimates of your LSAT into this fancy-ass script that will show how you compare to the 25th/75th percentile at your chosen school. (It's widely believed that if you are at or above the 75th percentile you are pretty sure to be admitted.)

http://www.lawschoolstats.com/cgi-bin/cgi/index2.cgi

I would suggest you try to get a 162 or higher.

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 05:27:44 PM »
I would recommend plugging your GPA and guesstimates of your LSAT into this fancy-ass script that will show how you compare to the 25th/75th percentile at your chosen school. (It's widely believed that if you are at or above the 75th percentile you are pretty sure to be admitted.)

http://www.lawschoolstats.com/cgi-bin/cgi/index2.cgi

I would suggest you try to get a 162 or higher.

thanks for the website, any suggestions on the LOR's  :-\

SkullTatt

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 05:42:12 PM »
Schools definitely prefer academic LOR's, but at four years out of school you are right on the verge of the point where they don't expect you to try to get them. Personally, and this is just me, I would get one work LOR and try to get an academic LOR. First I would choose a professor of a class where I got an A, then I would prepare an extensive packet for him/her, on your goals, interests, work you did in his class, and your strong points (personality, intellect, character) with examples.

A lot of professors would appreciate your ambition in trying to go to law school, so don't be afraid to ask them. All they can do is say no. One or two might say or imply they are not comfortable with it; if so, just move onto the next one.