Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: title your PS?  (Read 6820 times)

mancow555

Re: title your PS?
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2004, 12:27:24 PM »
whether or not semicolons are necessary, there's still something sexy about a girl that knows how to use them.  kinda like miniskirts.  wait, what were we talking about?  oh yea, i vote 'no' on titling your PS.  unless it's a really clever title, like, "My Life"

lexylit

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2004, 01:03:10 PM »
i concur. sexy girls know their punctuation. you should all read "eats, shoots & leaves" if you find this conversation remotely appealing and/or have always yearned to get friendlier with semicolons. or have always wanted to know how to spell connecticut (with apologies to woody allen).

ps, tdpookie says: two independent phrases ought to be linked together via semicolon or period, never comma.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2004, 05:24:12 PM »
::blushing::  Thank goodness for the "modify" button next to our posts, huh?  I fixed my mistake, per lexy's note.

That book is on my Amazon wish list.  I'm going to read it as soon as I get my LS apps out.  For those of you who want to get your hands on it right away without waiting for it to ship, Costco also has it.  I think it was $12 or so.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2004, 06:18:50 PM »
My use of the semicolon is not incorrect.  The fact that it could be a period shows that the semicolon is also technically correct.  A semicolon is used to separate two sentences that are related; that's exactly what I did.  Just because some people (including you, apparently) didn't learn how to use it doesn't mean that it's dead.

Also, the semicolon is sexy :)

NOW now TDP, I never said you used it incorrectly. (How would I know anyways)I merely stated it should be two sentences, thus eliminating the need for the ugly ;  ;)
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2004, 06:42:35 PM »
Oh.  Well, I'm disputing that it should be a period.  Since they are two related thoughts, I believe a semicolon is more appropriate.  Also, I'm disputing that the semicolon is ugly; I think it's one sexy piece of punctuation.  Look how sexy it is separating those two related thoughts that could grammatically be separated by periods.  :-*
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

lexylit

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2004, 07:56:08 PM »
plus how else could we have winking emoticons!?

Ginatio

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2004, 08:05:27 PM »
I dunno about the rest of you guys, but without the semi-colon, I wouldn't be able tell you all that I've lived in: Glendale, AZ; Urbana, IL; Miami, FL; and Philadelphia, PA.

there you go... one of the more technical uses of the semi-colon... germans find it sexy...  :-*

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2004, 08:22:20 PM »
Okay I've agreed to title my PS.

The ;.  Sexy or not.

Then I'll explain how I overcame an angry mob of people who believe the ; is sexy,
and I was the only one to stand up and argue that it isn't!  ;)

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

lexylit

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2004, 08:38:20 PM »
swifty you wouldnt last in grad school; comp lit PhDs spend entire semesters reading books on e.g. the history of the footnote

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2004, 08:39:13 PM »
I don't know, you might offend some ad comms by arguing that the ; isn't sexy...   ;)