Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: title your PS?  (Read 7368 times)

lexylit

title your PS?
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:56:50 PM »
i'm a dork who loves creative titles-- plus in grad school we're trained that it's like the most important part of your paper.

do people title their PS? would that be weird or not so?

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
Re: title your PS?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 09:10:20 PM »
i wouldn't title it...just seems like one less line you have to use in an already short story....besides, if the person reading it doesnt find it as witty as you thought...they might just scrap the statement without reading it.

Chela

• GPA: 3.64 LSAT: Dec. 4th
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 12:58:05 AM »
PR's book of real PSs included several with titles.  I think that it is ultimately a personal decision (duh), but if you have a really creative, witty title in mind -- go for it.  This can be risky, but it can also make you stand out (in a good way).

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 01:00:53 AM »
I titled mine... "Personal Statement" ... nice and big at the top. it was a risk i took, but hey.. that's just the kind of guy i am.

Chela

• GPA: 3.64 LSAT: Dec. 4th
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 01:03:08 AM »
living on the wild side, aren't you?   ::)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 08:45:03 PM »
I just proofed somebody's PS and I offered the adviced the semi-colon is considered
no longer useful, I don't know why, I think my english teacher said something to the effect that with the advent of word processors, semi-colons are ancient history.  Anyone else hear this?  Lexy? You are an English major, no?  I hope I didn't ruin this poor young man's day. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:18:38 PM »
I think a title is pretentious.  But the adcoms do not have enough time on their hands to really think about whether or not you have a title there, so I doubt it matters.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 03:28:42 AM »
SWIFTY!!! omg, bite your tongue. the semicolon will never die; in fact, i think it's enjoying a resurgence. nothing illustrates intelligence as swiftly as effective employment of the semicolon; rather, those who eschew it might be committing all kinds of errors if they do not acknowledge their need for semicoloning. if something is missing in your PS, it could be SCs. if a tutorial is needed i can certainly provide for my fellow LSDers; i like nothing better than spreading the joy and love that is the semicolon so my pupils sing its praises.

wow, im a huge dork whose alarm is going off in 5 hours.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 05:14:28 AM »
Lexy, that was awesome!  And I totally agree that the semicolon will never die, although I am not clever enough to fill a paragraph with sentences demonstrating the need for semicolons.  I think you proved that point well enough.

:)

~ A fellow grammar nerd (though not an English major)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

buster

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 09:26:29 AM »
I too am a fan of the semicolon;