Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Native American?  (Read 1394 times)

silentshawn

• View Profile
Native American?
« on: September 28, 2005, 02:28:54 PM »
Do I have to be a registered member of a tribe to claim this. My Great Grandmother was from a tribe unsure which one most likely Canuck. I'm 1/8th Native American by that account, but don't know the technical requirements to making this claim on admission applications. Any help or input would be appreciated.
LSAT 154 June 05
GPA 3.11

Law_Woman

Re: Native American?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 02:44:24 PM »
Do I have to be a registered member of a tribe to claim this. My Great Grandmother was from a tribe unsure which one most likely Canuck. I'm 1/8th Native American by that account, but don't know the technical requirements to making this claim on admission applications. Any help or input would be appreciated.

It wouldn't hurt. Do it immediately!!!! get a good LSAT score and the ivy league schools will be knocking down your door!

silentshawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 03:03:18 PM »
I realy don't want to take the LSAT again my head is still recovering from the analitical reasoning section. My target school is Uconn, and i'm on the very low end of what they might accept. i have an uncle who is an alumni and is writing a LOR hope it will hold a little weight, along with a good PS.
LSAT 154 June 05
GPA 3.11

SolarysBlue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 07:35:56 PM »
Here is one of the few places I could find info concerning your situation: http://www.deloggio.com/diversty/race.htm

"Caveat:  If there was a Native American somewhere in your family ancestry, but you can't name the person, don't know what tribe they were a part of, or have made no effort to be part of Native American culture, don't expect checking the appropriate box to make a difference in your ability to be accepted."

silentshawn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 09:01:10 PM »
Thank you for the link, very interesting.

LSAT 154 June 05
GPA 3.11

KitK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:26:07 AM »
I have a similar situation. Also 1/8th, from my Great Grandmother. My Grandpa was also a member of the tribe and I spent the first part of my life living near the reservation and used to visit. My mom could have been a member as well, but she was bullied by the Native American kids and that turned her away from that side of her heritage. I am not sure if I should check the box, but I am definitely considering writing a diversity statement. Perhaps this is a question for the individual schools.

allyreese

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 11:39:24 AM »
If you're legitimately able to check off the "native american" box I know schools give a lot of extra points to you.  So it seems to me that even if you don't fit the exact requirements to check the box, you can check "caucasian" or whatever and include a diversity statement about your heritage.  I think that schools are so excited about the Native American thing, even the diversity statement would be worth at least a few points, and it wouldn't be as sketchy as checking the box if you're not really sure about it.