Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Going to JD in the 3rd tier or LL.M in the 1st tier?  (Read 771 times)

nontrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Going to JD in the 3rd tier or LL.M in the 1st tier?
« on: June 28, 2004, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi, I am an international applicant who just got admissions from the programs above. Under this situation, I am really having hard time to choose which way to go.

My plan is to be eventually admitted to the bar, whatever I take, and come back to my country. So, the reputation of school I choose is as important as just being admitted to the bar. But, the law school which gave me the J.D admission is not well-known in my country. On the contrary, the other school granting me LL.M admission is regarded as one of best law schools in my country. Another problem is that since I have no undergrad law degree, I am not qualified for the bar exam with only LL.M degree.

So, I am thinking about four alternatives just as follows. I would sincerely like to ask you which is recommendable for me. And please give me tips on anything that I am not sure of mentioned below.

1. After completing one year LL.M first, transfer to J.D program in that school or other schools: The best option for me considering necessary expenses and periods, but I am not sure if this one is permitted and credits earned in LL.M can be waived in J.D program. More important, I don't guess what is the chance. Please let me know about that.

2. After completing one year LL.M while proparing LSAT again, apply to J.D programs of LS including the school in which I completed the LL.M; it sounds feasible, but too demanding and too expensive to bear it on. Even worse, no guarantee for admissions of reputed schools.

3. Earning 90 or more quarterly credits for NY bar exam by taking two LL.M programs in two years; quite satisfactory to meet both the requirements of bar exam and reputation of LS. But, I don't know if this is fully approved to qualify for the bar exam. Please let me know about that.

4. Just going to J.D in the third tier and transfer to the 1st tier school in 2L ; slim chance of this scinario.

I am desperately waiting for your kind advice.
Thank you very much.

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Going to JD in the 3rd tier or LL.M in the 1st tier?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 09:37:33 AM »
How did you get into an LLM program without a law degree (LLB)?  Are you from England?
Which program are you referring to?

I don't understand some finer points in your e-mail.  Are you expecting to graduate with a JD/LLM in the US and sit for a bar and immediately return to your country?  Or do you plan on working afterwards?  Won't you have to sit for the bar exam in your home country as well?  and if you eventually plan on working there, what's the point in sitting for the NY bar?

Please clarify and it will help to give advice.  As for the required credits for the New York Bar, click on the link below and it should answer most of your questions.

http://www.nybarexam.org/barexam.htm
Headed to Hofstra in August!

nontrad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clarification of my inquiries
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 10:21:32 AM »
Hello, thanks for your attention!
O.K, I will clarify my post line by line if you ask.

How did you get into an LLM program without a law degree (LLB)? 
I have 7 year working experience in law related jobs, and a LS waived this requirement considering my career, which is very rare case in LL.M admission.

Are you from England?
No. The explanation above can solve the problem.

Which program are you referring to?
Please reread my options which is numbered from #1 to #4. It includes various routes.

I don't understand some finer points in your e-mail.  Are you expecting to graduate with a JD/LLM in the US and sit for a bar and immediately return to your country? 
In case of option #1 and #2, yes, I would be graduated with JD/LLM. And at this point, yes, I plan to get back to my country. 

Or do you plan on working afterwards? 
Actually, I am not sure. It depends on the outcome of my study. But probably I may go back to my job.

Won't you have to sit for the bar exam in your home country as well? and if you eventually plan on working there, what's the point in sitting for the NY bar?
No, I won't. In my country, without sitting for a bar of my country, the demand for U.S lawyers in legal affairs is increasing and it greatly contributes to the development of professional career.

Please clarify and it will help to give advice.  As for the required credits for the New York Bar, click on the link below and it should answer most of your questions.

http://www.nybarexam.org/barexam.htm

msher3yn

• View Profile
Re: Going to JD in the 3rd tier or LL.M in the 1st tier?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »
May I ask what law school waived the requirement to have a JD prior to obtaining an LLM degree? If this law school was willing to do this for you, why would they not admit you into their JD program? Have you discussed this with them?