Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: do you think I can qualified a a minority?  (Read 1639 times)

yellymary

• MSN Messenger - yellymarymontalvo@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yellymarymontalvo@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/boricuaeveninthemoon2327/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_blogpart=myspace&_c02_owner=1&_c=blogpart
    • Email
do you think I can qualified a a minority?
« on: September 27, 2005, 07:53:59 AM »
Hi! :)

I'm from Puerto Rico and I'm planning to apply to all law schools in Florida but I'm really interested in University of Florida and FSU. I don't know if I can apply as a minority because in Florida there plenty of puerto ricans. though, few are women so i dont know if that can help. i also come from a really poor family and was raise in a ghetto so I was wondering if i can use that then plus the minority factor. my GPA is 3.86 (undergraduate) and 3.40 (graduate). i'm not putting my hopes in the LSAT. I'm not good in those kind of tests. i have problems with them. so, i'm relying mostly on GPA, minority and whatever else. i'll try my best in the lsat. please, what do you think? thanks! ???
Don't let anyone or anything destroy your dreams. Believe in yoorself... that's the key to sucess!

angmill08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: do you think I can qualified a a minority?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 03:18:03 PM »
If I were you, on the ethnicity/race question, I'd check "Hispanic" and "Other" and write in "Puerto Rican" next to "other." Some schools definitely consider Puerto Ricans an underrepresented minority. Not sure about the schools you mentioned, but they might.

I'd also write a supplemental essay about economic hardship if the schools you're applying to allow that.

HTH.
164/3.46 Undergrad GPA, graduated college in 1996.
Applied: UT Austin (ED), Univ. of Houston, George Washington U & American U.
Accepted: Univ. of Houston, GW, American
Attending: GW, Fall 2006

yellymary

• MSN Messenger - yellymarymontalvo@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - yellymarymontalvo@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/boricuaeveninthemoon2327/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c01_blogpart=myspace&_c02_owner=1&_c=blogpart
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 05:46:28 PM »
thank u... i'll check on that  ;)
Don't let anyone or anything destroy your dreams. Believe in yoorself... that's the key to sucess!

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 01:45:33 PM »
I think there is a box for Puerto Rican actually. You want to make sure that you mark Puerto Rican because Adcomms will view a Puerto Rican different from a Hispanic/Latino in their application process.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

vitaminwater

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 03:39:34 AM »
um. with that header, yes.
go for it man!

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 09:52:58 AM »
Hi! :)

I'm from Puerto Rico and I'm planning to apply to all law schools in Florida but I'm really interested in University of Florida and FSU. I don't know if I can apply as a minority because in Florida there plenty of puerto ricans. though, few are women so i dont know if that can help. i also come from a really poor family and was raise in a ghetto so I was wondering if i can use that then plus the minority factor. my GPA is 3.86 (undergraduate) and 3.40 (graduate). i'm not putting my hopes in the LSAT. I'm not good in those kind of tests. i have problems with them. so, i'm relying mostly on GPA, minority and whatever else. i'll try my best in the lsat. please, what do you think? thanks! ???

Puerto Ricans are definitely under-represented, even in Florida. With your background, schools will be interested in having you. Make sure your PS discusses your background and how you overcame all the challenges you faced.

Even so, you're still going to give 120% and hopefully get at least in the high 150s on the LSAT. You won't necessarily get into Florida or FSU just on the strength of your GPA, even as a boricua, mainly because most schools weigh the LSAT more heavily than your GPA. But as long as you've prepared & studied, you should do well. Good luck---