Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I considered a URM?  (Read 1630 times)

Sepideh22

Am I considered a URM?
« on: September 26, 2005, 05:13:28 PM »
I'm a Persian female and was wondering if I am considered a urm or not? On another note, I'll be taking the LSAT this Saturday and will hopefully score in the high 160's. My LSAT scores have been fluctuating from anywhere between 161 to 175 so I'm really not sure of where I stand at the moment. I have a B.S (GPA: 3.746) and an MBA (GPA: 3.761). What do you think is the lowest LSAT score I can get and still have a fair shot at a top 10 school?

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Am I considered a URM?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 11:29:16 PM »
As far as I know, no.  Confirmation from someone else would be appreciated, though.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 11:37:22 PM »
You would not generally be given URM status.  Middle Easterners in general are not underrepresented in law schools (esp. top law schools).  In order to get into a top 10 school, I would say a score of 165 at least would get your application looked at.  In order to have a good shot, I would say a score of 167-170.  Of course, it's hard to tell.  I'm assuming since you have an MBA you've had some significant work experience.  This will definitely help, as will your high GPA and what I'm assuming will be a good LSAT score.  Good luck.
Yale.Law.School.2010

rabika

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:43:28 PM »
According to Anna Ivey, Persians are lumped into the same group as 'whites'

hope that helps!

viridianx

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - viridianx
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 01:06:22 AM »
If you feel you are not correctly representing yourself by checking the "white" box, then don't.  Check other and say Persian.
Attending: UPENN!!!

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 01:12:17 AM »
I'm a Persian female and was wondering if I am considered a urm or not? On another note, I'll be taking the LSAT this Saturday and will hopefully score in the high 160's. My LSAT scores have been fluctuating from anywhere between 161 to 175 so I'm really not sure of where I stand at the moment. I have a B.S (GPA: 3.746) and an MBA (GPA: 3.761). What do you think is the lowest LSAT score I can get and still have a fair shot at a top 10 school?

Persians are not URM.  Siamese?

sarmstrong806

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 08:40:39 PM »
I would check other and put Persian. It is your best shot at getting any advantage and can't hurt.