Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would it Get Better in 2005?  (Read 1293 times)

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Would it Get Better in 2005?
« on: June 27, 2004, 07:57:23 PM »
I am looking at the US News and World Report's stats and the difference between the acceptance rate is so HUGE comparing 2000 and 2003. 

In 2000, the acceptance rate for 2nd tier are mostly in the 40-50 percentage and even some in the 60s. While now (2003's acceptance rate, the most updated available), the acceptance rate is some where between 20-30 percent and some are in the teens. 

Since the job market is getting a little better; there are more jobs and more people are employed.  Do you think competition might be a little less fierce for 2005's admission? 

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would it Get Better in 2005?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 08:22:07 PM »
I am looking at the US News and World Report's stats and the difference between the acceptance rate is so HUGE comparing 2000 and 2003. 

In 2000, the acceptance rate for 2nd tier are mostly in the 40-50 percentage and even some in the 60s. While now (2003's acceptance rate, the most updated available), the acceptance rate is some where between 20-30 percent and some are in the teens. 

Since the job market is getting a little better; there are more jobs and more people are employed.  Do you think competition might be a little less fierce for 2005's admission? 

possibly, but I know a lot of people are re-taking the LSAT and reapplying.  I am sure it will be a lot better, though.  The competitiveness this year was a big wake up call for people who weren't even sure why they wanted to go to law school in the first place
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

ruskiegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 09:37:55 PM »
I wouldn't expect it to get better anytime soon.  The last few years have been especially competitive because the economy is poor and many people want to increase their chaces of placement in the job market by seeking out post-graduate and professional degrees.  It will not get any better until the economy gets better.

crys9763

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 04:20:27 PM »
I think it will get a little better, but I think a lot of people have experienced being laid off, and having no upward mobility in their jobs or in their professions.  For instance, I work for an engineering firm, and it's difficult to transfer or make a lateral move to another firm, there are no raises, and (strangely) they are laying off young engineers in favor of college recruits.  People will still be looking to law for stability and to be able to write their own tickets, because these past 3-4 years really have people "shook up."  If outsourcing of technical positions continues, or companies don't wise up and start paying people and giving decent benefits, then I don't think law school competition is going to go down to 1990's levels.  Plus, there's those pesky population increases that aren't offset by increases in law school seats.
Attending a Part-Time Evening Program starting Fall 2004 at a small, slightly overrated private institution

Interested in patent law, sports and entertainment law, tax law

Taking speed reading course to prepare for First Year rigors