Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: who is over 35, has more than 2 kids and wants to go to law school. I have ?s  (Read 3985 times)

marriedwchildren

• View Profile
Who is over 35, you have more than 2 kids and wants to go to law school or is already in law school. I am just trying to think if this is actually feasible and do other people really do it. If you are in law school, how are you doing it?

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm 35 with exactly two children (ages 2 and 4). I don't precisely fit the criteria of your question, but I'm close, I suppose.

I'm a 1L in the evening division of my school and I work full time during the days. My wife also works full time. We have no family in the area.

How am I doing it (and how is my wife managing both kids without me)? One day at a time. Honestly, it's not easy. I'm gone from 7am - 10pm 3 nights a week (and a lot of other evening programs may be 4-5 nights a week). I'm also studying a lot on the nights I'm home and on the weekends.

I don't know your family situation (spouse or other family available to help out), but I wouldn't do this without some type of help available. It's not just going to class and then coming home. The amount of reading is tremendous, not including time you may have to spend at the library doing research for your legal writing course.

If you have a burning desire to go to law school, you'll make it work. If it's just an interest in law, I suggest you buy the E&E books (Examples and Explanations) for the various subjects and read it at your own pace. Then again...I could just be saying this because I only get 5 hours of sleep a night and I'm thoroughly exhausted.  :D Maybe you should ask me again next summer when I have some time off.

marriedwchildren

• View Profile
i am married and have the support. i work full time now and i am finishing my undergrad now to graduate in may. i think it is challenging now. i just hate to see law school. i am worried that i won;t have anytime for my family or for myself. That is why i am asking everyone in my shoes how they do it. I need ideas now so i am prepared.

thanks for responding

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
i am married and have the support. i work full time now and i am finishing my undergrad now to graduate in may. i think it is challenging now. i just hate to see law school. i am worried that i won;t have anytime for my family or for myself. That is why i am asking everyone in my shoes how they do it. I need ideas now so i am prepared.

thanks for responding

something will suffer your grades or your family.  most people with the family end up settling for grades they deem sufficient (usually cs low bs) in order to allow time for the family.  moreover usually those with the family already arent craving big law and the pressure and time demands so they justify letting the grades drop... i think this is a dicey proposition as grades still matter.  however, it can be done.  but you will have to set priorites and realize that at times your family life will suffer for it and at other times your school work will be at the mercy of your fakily demands. for your sake, i hope you are a fast reader with mad comprehension skills. 

XYZZY

I'm 35 with exactly two children (ages 2 and 4). I don't precisely fit the criteria of your question, but I'm close, I suppose.

I'm a 1L in the evening division of my school and I work full time during the days. My wife also works full time. We have no family in the area.

How am I doing it (and how is my wife managing both kids without me)? One day at a time. Honestly, it's not easy. I'm gone from 7am - 10pm 3 nights a week (and a lot of other evening programs may be 4-5 nights a week). I'm also studying a lot on the nights I'm home and on the weekends.

I don't know your family situation (spouse or other family available to help out), but I wouldn't do this without some type of help available. It's not just going to class and then coming home. The amount of reading is tremendous, not including time you may have to spend at the library doing research for your legal writing course.

If you have a burning desire to go to law school, you'll make it work. If it's just an interest in law, I suggest you buy the E&E books (Examples and Explanations) for the various subjects and read it at your own pace. Then again...I could just be saying this because I only get 5 hours of sleep a night and I'm thoroughly exhausted.  :D Maybe you should ask me again next summer when I have some time off.

holy sh*t.  that describes my prospective situation almost to a T.  would it be easier if someone had read the E&E series prior to law school?

(how long is the commute, and the relative ranking of the school?)

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
holy sh*t.  that describes my prospective situation almost to a T.  would it be easier if someone had read the E&E series prior to law school?

(how long is the commute, and the relative ranking of the school?)

I think reading the E&E's before school has helped me quite a bit. I would recommend it. I wouldn't go overboard reading tons of different materials, but the E&E's give you a good general overview of many of the topics you are likely to hear about in class.

My commute is about 20-25 minutes each way and I go to a T1, albeit a low ranked T1.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
Who is over 35, you have more than 2 kids and wants to go to law school or is already in law school. I am just trying to think if this is actually feasible and do other people really do it. If you are in law school, how are you doing it?

I'm 32 with a 3 year old and another due in November.  I'll be going somewhere in fall of '06.  My wife supports me, but I know it will be a very difficult 3 or 4 years.  My approach will depend on what school I get into.  If I get into BC/BU, I'll quit my job and go full time and dedicate myself too it 100%.  If I end up at Suffolk or New England, I'll go part time and work hard, but I'll make as much time for my family as possible.  My main goal here is to be an attorney.  I'd love to go to a great school and make a lot of money, but I'd also be happy going to a 4th tier school and just make a living.  I think that test I took the day before yesterday will make my choices a whole lot clearer. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

skeptical1

• View Profile
I'm 40, a 1L in the evening division of a pretty good T1 school, work full time during the day and at this point hardly have any time to spend with my 3 kids.. It certianly is tough, but my wife is extremely supportive and 100% behind my decision - this makes all the difference. Going to school after work is the easier part, its getting ready for classes and those [damn] legal writing assignments that suck out every free minute. That said, it's entirely doable if you prioritize and manage your time wisely.
I read (and worked through) a couple of E&Es over summer and it helps me big time because I can go through the stuff a lot faster already knowing the concepts. It also lets me give [mostly] intelligent answers in class when dicussing hypos.
Bottom line: if you can study smart, have your family support and are really interested in law, you'd manage.

slp

• View Profile
I think there is some difference when a man returns to school versus a woman.  Unfortunately, society still looks at the woman/mother to take care of kids, do housework etc.  Some of the PT male students with families  have told me it is very doable and that their wives are extremely supportive.  When they get home after school and work, they study and the wife will take care of all the home issues with reaisng kids and other chores.  The women I have met have told me stories of trying to balance it all, and one woman said that things just get neglected and her family has had to sacrifice such as her 10 year old learning to do his own laundry and make some of his own meals because she could not do it working FT and law school PT. 
I am contemplating working PT and school PT just to have some time with family. CHildren will have to be in daycare or school FT.  I will use that time to study.  Don't know what to do about chores and things yet.   

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
I think there is some difference when a man returns to school versus a woman.  Unfortunately, society still looks at the woman/mother to take care of kids, do housework etc.  Some of the PT male students with families  have told me it is very doable and that their wives are extremely supportive.  When they get home after school and work, they study and the wife will take care of all the home issues with reaisng kids and other chores.  The women I have met have told me stories of trying to balance it all, and one woman said that things just get neglected and her family has had to sacrifice such as her 10 year old learning to do his own laundry and make some of his own meals because she could not do it working FT and law school PT. 
I am contemplating working PT and school PT just to have some time with family. CHildren will have to be in daycare or school FT.  I will use that time to study.  Don't know what to do about chores and things yet.   

I agree with this statement.  I've been reading about how the family person is doing it and most of the people with families in law school are men.  I have a four year old in kindergarten and am concerned with the amount of free time I'll have being that I currently work full time.  Add to the fact that I want to have another child before the age difference between him/her and my daughter become too great.  :-\