Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help! No improvement in AR after 20 PrepTests  (Read 741 times)

lindax

Help! No improvement in AR after 20 PrepTests
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:03:39 PM »
When I did my first few PrepTests, I needed an hour to finish each AR section and had about 1-2 mistakes. My problem is that I can't manage to reduce the time. After 20 PrepTests I still need an hour to be accurate! It takes me too long to remember the rules and make the deductions. Has anyone else had the same experience? Will there be a breakthrough at some point?? I have about 20 more PrepTests to go but I'm starting to lose heart...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

r.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey psycho stalker spy!
    • View Profile
Re: Help! No improvement in AR after 20 PrepTests
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 04:05:55 PM »
When I did my first few PrepTests, I needed an hour to finish each AR section and had about 1-2 mistakes. My problem is that I can't manage to reduce the time. After 20 PrepTests I still need an hour to be accurate! It takes me too long to remember the rules and make the deductions. Has anyone else had the same experience? Will there be a breakthrough at some point?? I have about 20 more PrepTests to go but I'm starting to lose heart...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My only advice is to try using the methods from the Logic Games Bible, if you haven't already. It is the one thing, besides practice, that helped me the most.
Byron's Don Juan:  Booker T. Washington Elementary School
Milton's Paradise Lost: Middle School

lindax

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 04:08:02 PM »
Thanks! But I am using the methods from the Logic Games Bible...  ???

jdw112

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 04:15:40 PM »
When are you taking the LSAT? If you have time, try going over all of the games you have done already. If you have not done so, do the LGB once more. Hell, even if you have, do it again anyway.

If at all, how are you reviewing the games?

allyreese

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 04:22:52 PM »
Go back and re-do just the games from the tests you've already done... after you've finished one, review it, not just look over it, review it, pretend you're writing out explanations for the game/deductions/questions a la the LGB explanations, when you really really really understand that game, move on to the next game and do the same thing....

Don't just keep taking tests, if you haven't seen any improvement so far, you need to work on the fundamentals before plowing through any more... it's likely you could just work through all of your tests without really learning anything...

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 04:25:30 PM »
You might try "The Big Fat Genius Guide to LSAT Logic Games".  It has some very practical advice for the games section and might help you maximize your score.  I found that I had picked up a lot of the strategies in the book after 40 some preptests but if I had it to do over again I might have used the book first.  Even though I knew a lot in the book there were still some good tips I picked up.  It's one of the most clearly written, well thought out LSAT guides I have seen.  The author's done a great deal of research into learning methods and builds that knowledge into the book.  I just wish they had books available on RC and LR.

The author doesn't encourage spending too much time on deductions, which I know many people are vehement about doing.  But I think that's probably a plus if you're struggling with AR.  I really can't stress the high quality of the book...it's not overly complex and it's not boilerplate that some major test companies slap together.  If you're really desperate it may be your salvation.

http://www.bigfatgenius.com/Logic_games_book.htm

piika

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:58:19 PM »
Thanks for everyone's advice for me! (I posted with under different user name before because I was having an LSAT panic attack and couldn't remember my usual user name. :-\)

I've been frustrated with the games so I did ten games sections in a row in one day, and saw zero improvement. Now I realize from reading your comments that this was very stupid to do, and LSAT is simply not a test I can cram this way. I'll go over the same questions again and also look into the Big Fat Genius book.

I was planning to take the test in October but decided to defer to December. I know that means I'll be applying very late, but what can I say, I'm simply not ready. Got no one to blame but myself for slacking off all summer.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 12:10:32 AM »
I used to do real bad on games, but I am improving.  I average less than 2 wrong on my recent tests.  All I did was keep doing old games, over and over.  Make sure you don't look up the answers while doing the old games, pretend you are doing them for the first time.