Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Financing a legal Education  (Read 3554 times)

Amaraya

• View Profile
Re: Financing a legal Education
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2005, 01:11:53 PM »
You do know one can be both Catholic and liberal?  One is a religion, the other is a political identification that is fairly widely subjective.  Then of course there's Catholic and Mel Gibson/Tom Monaghan Catholic, which is a whole other story.  ;D

I am both Catholic and liberal.  I think around here Catholic and conservative tends to get lumped together.  I meant to differentiate between the conservative mainstream and the liberal minority.
Ave Maria School of Law
Class of 2008

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2005, 05:06:30 PM »
how can one truly be catholic and be either totally conservative or totally liberal?  unless of course one is a cafeteria sort of catholic or catholic in name only....

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2005, 05:59:52 PM »
how can one truly be catholic and be either totally conservative or totally liberal?  unless of course one is a cafeteria sort of catholic or catholic in name only....

The Catholic relationship with God has little to do with man-made dogma or declarations, that, given the occurance of Vatican II, are subject to change.  I understand what you are saying, though, but not agreeing with the particular stance of an entity when it comes to a specific issue shouldn't preclude you from still being a part of that entity (i.e., pro-choice Republicans, pro-death penalty Democrats).

I like McDonald's, but I'm not a big fan of the Filet 'O Fish. 

I don't think you can compare the two.  You can be catholic and not agree with the position of women in the church or the celibacy of priest (as these things can change in time)  however when it comes to the identity of a catholic one must believe in the holy catholic AND apolostolic church... as well as the sanctity of ALL life.  in other words, there are certain requisites for calling onesself catholic.  otherwords, wouldn't one just be a monothiestic dietist?  or perhaps a Christian but not a Catholic?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2005, 10:40:13 PM »
You do know one can be both Catholic and liberal?  One is a religion, the other is a political identification that is fairly widely subjective.  Then of course there's Catholic and Mel Gibson/Tom Monaghan Catholic, which is a whole other story.  ;D

I am both Catholic and liberal.  I think around here Catholic and conservative tends to get lumped together.  I meant to differentiate between the conservative mainstream and the liberal minority.

Well, well. Look who showed up!