Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Want to share and group-edit personal statements?  (Read 3888 times)

DuncanInMaine

• Penfold... shush!
    • View Profile
Want to share and group-edit personal statements?
« on: July 25, 2003, 09:56:06 AM »
Is anyone interested in exchanging and editing personal statements with me?
-Duncan

SweetAlum

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Want to share and group-edit personal statemen
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 06:42:08 PM »
I would be willing to swap personal statements to edit. Most advisors I've talked to have said to have people you do not already know read your statement, since the admissions people won't know you...sounds like a great idea :)

DuncanInMaine

• Penfold... shush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 06:58:40 PM »
Great!  I expect to have mine completed around he end of August. Does this time-frame work for you? If so, feel free to email me at DuncanInMaine@yahoo.com and we can discuss the details of swapping statements.

For the record, where are you applying?  I'll be sending applications to BC, BU, New England, Western New England, Vermont, Franklin Pierce, Northeastern, Suffolk, Maine, Cornell, GW, and possibly one or two more.

You can probably tell from my list of schools that I'm from the north east. ;D

-Duncan

Robyn

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 06:20:28 PM »
Hi,

I am applying to most of the schools you mentioned (Duncan). I'd love to swap. Let me know! :)

DuncanInMaine

• Penfold... shush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 07:40:30 PM »
Robyn,

I'm guessing you are from the north east too? Which school would you MOST like to get into? Also, what are your numbers?

Robyn

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 08:19:36 AM »
Hi,

I am from Mass. I would love to go to either BU or BC but that might not happen. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, I am in Oct. However, I am terrible at standardized tests so I may not do as well as I'd hope to. However, my GPA is 3.7. So, we'll see.

Where do you really want to go?

Have you started your personal statement?? If so, any tips? I'm stuck on ideas!

DuncanInMaine

• Penfold... shush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 08:30:24 AM »
I'd really like to get in at Northeastern.  Obviously I'd be thrilled with BU or BC, but I haven't taken my LSATs yet, and I'm trying to be realistic. In fact, I'm not sure WHAT I'd do if I got in at both BU and Northeastern.  I like the program at Northeastern much more, but it's hard to argue with the prestige of BU.

I'm in for my LSAT on October 4th too... we'll have to keep in touch as it gets closer.  

I'll be done with my personal statement around the end of the month. Are you still interested in swapping statements?

richard O'Connor

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 08:57:49 AM »
How much have you guys been studying for the LSAT? Are you taking a review course. I would like to go to new england school of law, they have a very good tax program. They won the moot court tax championship last year, but don't like the fact you have to find an apartment in boston.

DuncanInMaine

• Penfold... shush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 09:26:03 AM »
Unfortunately, I haven't been studying much for the LSAT. This summer was my last semester of undergrad work, so I'm just finishing up now. I took three of the official prep tests from LSAC and scored fairly well (162-166). I also bought both of the "10 actual prep tests" books. In total, I have 23 more prep tests that I want to take before the actual exam. That's going to work out to one every other day.  Well, I'll certainly be freshly familiar with the format!  ;)

As far as an apartment in Boston goes, you can always get something outside of Boston and take the train in and out. I went to school in Cambridge and I know that people found it less expensive to live in Summerville. I even know people who go to school in Boston and commute from North Andover... I can't imagine doing that, but to each his own.

Which schools are you sending apps to?  Also, are you signed up for the LSAT in October?

-Duncan

richard o'connor

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2003, 10:34:14 AM »
I am taking the LSAT in October. I am applying to many of the same schools you are applying to. I have been working through old LSAT'S the past few weeks but am concerned I am also one that tends to score normal to slightly below on standarized tests. Duncan Where did you go for you Undergrad? I went to a small school American International College in Springfield MA. Majored in accounting and just about to finish my MBA.