Law School Discussion

Throw out this test 46 question (46.2.24)

Elle Gal

• Choose your own adventure.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - elleaqui
    • View Profile
Throw out this test 46 question (46.2.24)
« on: September 24, 2005, 03:47:42 PM »
Yea, that's it...and I'll make my own scoring key...
Here it is. Please explain.  :)

It is now clear that the ancient Egyptians were the first society to produce alcoholic beverages. It had been thought that the ancient Babylonians were the first; they had mastered the process of fermentation for making wine as early as 1500 BC. However, archeologists have discovered an Egyptian cup dating from 2000 BC whose side appears to be an Egyptian brewery, and whose chemical residue reveals that it contained a form of alcoholic beer.

Reasoning vulnerable to criticism on which one of the following grounds...
(got it down to two)

(A) It makes a generalization about Egyptian society based on a sample so small, it's unlikely to be representative.
(D) It ignores the possibility that the first known instance of a kind is not the first instance of that kind.

I selected A because ONE cup really couldn't be representative of the actions of an entire society (ie--the whole society brewed beer before the Babs did).

Any help in disecting this one is much appreciated...
cheers,
El

Re: Throw out this test 46 question (46.2.24)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 03:53:07 PM »
A is wrong because even if it's just that cup, then it remains true that Egyptian society produced an alcoholic beverage.  The stimulus doesn't mention cocktail parties or large numbers, so one is enough.

snikrep

Re: Throw out this test 46 question (46.2.24)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 04:09:28 PM »
I picked D because I thought that was referring to the Babylonians - i.e. perhaps the first known instance we know (in 1500 BC) is actually NOT the first instance, but they were doing it back in the 2000's as well.