Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Testmasters Diag #4 Discussion  (Read 2360 times)

daGCHILD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Testmasters Diag #4 Discussion
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2005, 09:19:07 PM »

I'm in the same boat. Speed is killing me. If I can just go a little dam faster and still maintain my accuracy wow I'll score sooo much higher. Good thing is that the problem isnt having difficulty understanding the material, it just a matter of practice and increasing speed. I'm just a bad test taker.

I don't know if this makes you or I a BAD test-taker. I just think that it may have something to do with reading speed. I think that we just have to practice speed and hope that adrenaline kicks in on the real test. I think that for those who are scoring OK but with high accuracy are the ones who see their scores go up on test day. This is what I am hoping for anyway.

I looked over this test and I should have scored so much higher. If on the real thing I can limit my mistakes and go just a little faster then I will see it reflected positively in my score. I bet the same goes for you. I am just going to force myself to go faster this week and hope this carries over on saturday.

If I finish the sections then I won't cancel. If I can't, for some reason...

Ya i was dissapointed in my score as well. LAck of sleep and the fact that i am not a morning person didnt help either. If i took this test in the afternoon, i would of done much better. Regardless, i must improve my speed. Im hoping with a lot of practice, i will eventally get better. I've noticed a slight increase, but then again i didnt put %100 into the TM course i was in. I decided weeks ago to re-take the course and take the lsat in DEC, i SHOULD Be ok by then, if not then well i'm just gonna go on a rage and do something irrational.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 09:21:30 PM »
59=====149
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2005, 09:33:50 PM »
59=====149

shaz, can you tell me the score for 79?

daGCHILD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2005, 09:36:56 PM »
59=====149

shaz, can you tell me the score for 79?

raw score of 79 = 161

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2005, 09:40:22 PM »

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2005, 09:49:57 PM »

Ya i was dissapointed in my score as well. LAck of sleep and the fact that i am not a morning person didnt help either. If i took this test in the afternoon, i would of done much better. Regardless, i must improve my speed. Im hoping with a lot of practice, i will eventally get better. I've noticed a slight increase, but then again i didnt put %100 into the TM course i was in. I decided weeks ago to re-take the course and take the lsat in DEC, i SHOULD Be ok by then, if not then well i'm just gonna go on a rage and do something irrational.

I could not sleep either but I can't really use that as an excuse. I had an espresso and a cup of coffee. I was AWAKE! That just was not the problem. I scored an average of 18 on all three LR sections, even the one I knew was experimental.

I thought the RC was pretty straight forward but it was just too long. I need to get better at this new method. It was  taught to me on tuesday. It really made everything come together. I practiced with the homework and only got 5 total wrong from an entire homework book. It was really awesome! I just wish I had learned this earlier. I would be crushing this section by now.

It is weird really. My usual instructor took the week off. I presume for classes. This new instructor from DC did books 14 and 15. He went over some RC passages with us and it was really great. But what really helped was that  after class I asked him if I could see how he annotated his passages. WOW! I had never seen anything like it. There was practically nothing there but bubbles and a couple of lines. The passage was scarce. It was so clean and precise. I tried it and it really works.

This guy had an actual method to attacking the RC! You don't need to underline everything, you just need to know what to underline. He instructed us that passages always pay off. If they are talking about a traditional viewpoint, then you can expect that the author will slam it and give you a new viewpoint. If he does not readily agree with this one then he will probably give you the viewpoint that he does agree with. It sounds elementary, but it really works. It allows me to keep track of everything because I have an idea of where he is going before he gets there. I just wish I could do it faster. i know that I can with practice, but that's the thing. I need to work on it and at the same time I need to be working on LR. I wish I had known this from lesson one!

One thing I can say is that all instructors are not equal. My usual was good; he scored 174. This guy only got 4 wrong and scored a 176 and he was still pissed about it. You could feel it. He said to find out what motivates you and use it. For him it was pride. This guy was so different. I would pay to retake with this guy.

The usual was kind of soothing and coddled people who didn't understand something. this guy was like a sledgehammer, pounding technique into your head. It was awesome. His approach was more socratic. What is the author trying to get at here? What is he saying? How is he saying it? What is the structure of his argument? boom,boom,boom it went for four hours. Awesome. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

daGCHILD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 10:57:29 PM »

I could not sleep either but I can't really use that as an excuse. I had an espresso and a cup of coffee. I was AWAKE! That just was not the problem. I scored an average of 18 on all three LR sections, even the one I knew was experimental.

I thought the RC was pretty straight forward but it was just too long. I need to get better at this new method. It was  taught to me on tuesday. It really made everything come together. I practiced with the homework and only got 5 total wrong from an entire homework book. It was really awesome! I just wish I had learned this earlier. I would be crushing this section by now.

It is weird really. My usual instructor took the week off. I presume for classes. This new instructor from DC did books 14 and 15. He went over some RC passages with us and it was really great. But what really helped was that  after class I asked him if I could see how he annotated his passages. WOW! I had never seen anything like it. There was practically nothing there but bubbles and a couple of lines. The passage was scarce. It was so clean and precise. I tried it and it really works.

This guy had an actual method to attacking the RC! You don't need to underline everything, you just need to know what to underline. He instructed us that passages always pay off. If they are talking about a traditional viewpoint, then you can expect that the author will slam it and give you a new viewpoint. If he does not readily agree with this one then he will probably give you the viewpoint that he does agree with. It sounds elementary, but it really works. It allows me to keep track of everything because I have an idea of where he is going before he gets there. I just wish I could do it faster. i know that I can with practice, but that's the thing. I need to work on it and at the same time I need to be working on LR. I wish I had known this from lesson one!

One thing I can say is that all instructors are not equal. My usual was good; he scored 174. This guy only got 4 wrong and scored a 176 and he was still pissed about it. You could feel it. He said to find out what motivates you and use it. For him it was pride. This guy was so different. I would pay to retake with this guy.

The usual was kind of soothing and coddled people who didn't understand something. this guy was like a sledgehammer, pounding technique into your head. It was awesome. His approach was more socratic. What is the author trying to get at here? What is he saying? How is he saying it? What is the structure of his argument? boom,boom,boom it went for four hours. Awesome. 

Hey Shaz, you got anymore detailed info on that RC strategy your talking about? Thanks

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2005, 01:16:36 AM »
does anyone have the real scale for the diag.  I got 12 wrong and I don't know what my score is.  They still haven't posted my report( I am on the west coast though.)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2005, 01:19:34 AM »
I'm on the east coast and haven't gotten my score yet either.  Last time I didn't get it until Sunday night.  I'm expecting the same delay again this time around.
Yale.Law.School.2010

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2005, 01:20:49 AM »
does anyone have the real scale for the diag.  I got 12 wrong and I don't know what my score is.  They still haven't posted my report( I am on the west coast though.)

12 wrong is a 167.