« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2005, 10:23:49 PM »
thanks

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Testmasters Diag #4 Discussion
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 12:04:08 AM »
Ok here's some more RC stuff.

Always be looking for words that are too limiting, especially if the choice looks good without this one word. If you can get it down to two choices look at the adjetives. Ask yourself if this one word is too restrictive. If it is, be careful.

He talked about women passages. Always look for women v. society at large.  They may not say anything about men, but they should talk about society and how it has limited the role of women. Make note of their influences.

For minorities it's the same but look for overcoming adversity.

For native american passages make note of how they are getting screwed and who is doing the screwing. Also look for possible outcomes. What does the author predict.

Note: Examine the first chapter in detail. What he said is true, "The passages always pay off." Try to find the structure and you will find the tone and as well. In the passages there is a lot of detail. He said not to ignore the detail, just try and remember where it was so you can go back to it if you have to.

Also, use a pencil and after you do a passage go back and see where you were underlining irrelevant material. You can develop the feel for the things that are/are not relevant.

For environmental passages assume that Man has screwed up the world and the passage is going to tell us how and, possibly, give a suggestion for how this situation can be improved. Keep in mind that we probably screwed it up to the point that we can only improve, not totally reverse what has happened in the past.

If you find that there is like two well defined points of view, just underline the two different groups'/peoples' names. By doing this you can go back to the passage and quickly find the context. 

The thing is, if you can anticipate early where the author is going then you will retain more of the info. You should definitely get the tone.

The one thing that I have found is that my confidence in my choices has gone way up. It used to be that I would answer a passage and have no clue how many I got right. Now, I am surprised if I get one wrong.  i am more concerned with time now.

By this method I don't think the density of passage info really matters. If you know the structure and where the author is trying to go then you answer most of those extension and inferrence questions. I am hoping that a week is long enough for comfort with the technique to reflect speed as well as accuracy. I am hoping it's like games, the more you practice, the faster you get.

Good Luck and hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2005, 07:11:59 AM »
Ok, finally got my score.  Got a 167.  Turns out I did slightly better on LR than I had calculated (I got 6 questions wrong total when I thought I got 8 wrong), and slightly worse on RC than I had calculated (I got 4 wrong when I thought I got 3 wrong).  I calculated correctly for LG, and got only 2 wrong.  Overall, not too bad of a performance.  I agree with everyone that this scale was brutal.  I don't know why it was so unforgiving.  I didn't think this was any easier than previous tests.  Oh well.  Shaz, that's good RC advice.  It's getting more difficult to answer some of those RC inference questions, and they are clearly becoming more abundant.  It's almost as if they want you to speculate, which is arguably a useful legal tool, but I'd much rather discuss facts and not hearsay.  Oh well, you gotta play the game.  Best of luck to all of you who are taking the real thing in a week. 

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2005, 07:34:50 AM »
man the 2nd section was harder for LR.  i missed 2 on the first, but 6 on the second...pissed...you know ti's harder when there are some questions where the % of TM people that picked the wrong answer is higher than right one. 

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2005, 08:34:29 AM »
still haven't gotten my score

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 09:24:06 AM »
Just got my score in: 159.

This was way better than I expected, in fact, this was one point off my original goal when I first started studying in August. Still going to delay the test til Decemeber though, I want to be 100% confident when I take the test.

Looks like there is hope after all. (even if you get a 148 half way through your studying)

A ton of thanks goes out to everyone who had given me words of encouragement after my 3rd test, thanks for not letting me give up.

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 10:59:39 AM »
still waiting

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2005, 11:56:36 AM »
Waiting sux.  I had to wait until late Sunday night (around 11:30) to get my diag 3 results.  Hopefully it won't take that long for you.

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2005, 01:42:37 PM »
can anyone post the scoring scale for this diag..not the one that is on powerscore website. thanks

aquafinaisbetter

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2005, 01:47:14 PM »
Yeah, I hope it doesn't take all day.. But what is a couple more hours I guess.