Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recommend a good PDA  (Read 1139 times)

thechoson

Recommend a good PDA
« on: June 27, 2004, 01:47:40 AM »
Someone want to recommend a good PDA for me?

ruskiegirl

Re: Recommend a good PDA
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 01:54:13 AM »
I have a Toshiba e755, which is a 2003 model, and I am quite happy with it.  It has built-in wireless internet and a decent amount of memory. It has Pocket Word, so I would hook up a portable keyboard and type all my notes in class. 

I heard the HP's are also quite good.  Whatever brand you choose, I would recommend that you stick with the ones that run Windows rather than something like a Sony Clie, which runs the Palm OS. It's a lot easier transfering files from your Windows PDA to your computer.  All you have to do is hook them up with a USB cable.  If your PDA runs the Palm OS, you have to buy additional software to make them compatible.   Also, you will find that Sony's often come with a lot less memory than comparably priced PDA's.

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 06:32:43 PM »
u can try a new hybrid called a smartphone which is a pda/phone...i just got my mom the treo600 for 400+tax with no service plan but the site i got it at raised the price already so its a little over priced right now but it really is kewl  :-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

ruskiegirl

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 06:39:24 PM »
u can try a new hybrid called a smartphone which is a pda/phone...i just got my mom the treo600 for 400+tax with no service plan but the site i got it at raised the price already so its a little over priced right now but it really is kewl  :-*

Don't smartphones have fewer features than the traditional PDA?

nathanielmark

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 08:42:45 PM »
I have a $600 PDA and it sits on my desk.  save your money.  buy a nice phone with scheduling & internet and you are set.  maybe a USB key to store files on.  PDAs are a dying technology.  sales are already rapidly declining.

Someone want to recommend a good PDA for me?

headmachine

• Sr. Citizen
  • new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 04:30:38 PM »

Don't smartphones have fewer features than the traditional PDA?

dunno but i like the idea, build of the phone as for the general practicality of a smartphone itself is more dependent on what u need..if this is for class go with an dell axim or hp right? but if this is for something to track ur calendar with or use as a phone if u dont mind the bulkiness, this may be an adequate solution...i think its a fully functional pda but im not totally sure =) might wanna find out before u drop big bux though  :-*
ROAR for LLS 2005
*SLY*

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 04:44:30 PM »
here is my take on pdas:  i love them.

i dont ever use my cell phone because my wife uses up all the minutes so i dont get to use it much.  and if we ever go over our 2000 minutes a month, its my fault because she uses the first 1990 minutes and i use the last 11...and its my fault for going over.

i have a sony clie from back in the day...like 3 years ago.  for me, it does the job.  i need something for contacts, scheduling, occasional news (using avantgo), and something to interface with outlook for my emails (i wish gmail had pop access...).  im thinking of upgrading to something that has bluetooth and wifi...maybe the ipaq.  the sony clamshell is nice, though i think they stopped making it. 

for people who are used to working with pdas, its definitely necessary.  if youre not used to it though, its probably not worth it. 

im not too into the smartpdaphones because the phone itself is too bulky.  i do hear good things about the color blackberry.  but too bulky for me.  and i dont wanna carry my phone around my belt.   i need all my sperm to be healthy.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 06:30:54 PM »
I would recommend the Palm Zire 71.  It works very well as an MP3 player, but the digital camera function on it is not as good as I'd like.  Anyway, for the price, it is one of the best deals for PDA's.  Check out reviews on it (using sites like Cnet) and you'll see it comes very highly recommended.