• View Profile
Re: Positive Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 06:06:28 PM »
Alright:

Some of my best friends are black!

jdw112

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 10:15:36 AM »
You are LSD's czar of interracial relations.

Alright:

Some of my best friends are black!

SCgrad

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 06:01:23 AM »

It turns out that you get what you expect.

A study at FSU last May found that people's concerns about racial biases predict how well their interactions with other races go. Overall the study found that in some cases whites were afraid of coming across as racist, and in other cases blacks were afraid of being treated with prejudice. These groups tended to have the worst relations with members of other races. The best interracial relations occured in groups where participants expected interactions to be positive.

The moral of the story? If you're white, don't worry about looking like a racist. If you're black, don't expect to be treated poorly. Expect good things, and good things will happen.

http://www.fsu.edu/news/2005/05/12/negative.expectations/

Very altruistic, but not without merit.  I find it strange how uncomfortable people can be around different races, particularly whites and blacks.  Also, to continue the moral:  Whites and Blacks: Don't be racist and don't assume that someone who doesn't like you is racist, they could just be an ass.  I have always found it is better to hate people for what's on the inside. 

jeb240

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 06:40:35 AM »

A study at FSU last May found that people's concerns about racial biases predict how well their interactions with other races go. Overall the study found that in some cases whites were afraid of coming across as racist, and in other cases blacks were afraid of being treated with prejudice. These groups tended to have the worst relations with members of other races. The best interracial relations occured in groups where participants expected interactions to be positive.

The moral of the story? If you're white, don't worry about looking like a racist. If you're black, don't expect to be treated poorly. Expect good things, and good things will happen.

Very altruistic, but not without merit.  I find it strange how uncomfortable people can be around different races, particularly whites and blacks.  Also, to continue the moral:  Whites and Blacks: Don't be racist and don't assume that someone who doesn't like you is racist, they could just be an ass.  I have always found it is better to hate people for what's on the inside. 

Or remember: Beyond being them being racist, beyond them being as ass, you just might not be likeable.

SCgrad

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 07:03:02 AM »

Or remember: Beyond being them being racist, beyond them being as ass, you just might not be likeable.

I actually wrote that and then decided to erase it.  Unlikeable people generally don't take others' advice, or they might not be so damn unlikeable.

jeb240

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 08:30:47 AM »

I actually wrote that and then decided to erase it.  Unlikeable people generally don't take others' advice, or they might not be so damn unlikeable.

That's not fair.  Some people can't help being unlikeable.  Or things that would make them likeable do not appeal to them or do not seem like things that should make them likeable to them.  In my case, I know a number of people do not care for me because I'm extremely honest.  My friend put it very succinctly, "You're a good person, but not a nice person."  If I were less direct or less honest, I would probably be more "likeable," but I do not know that's how I want to be -- I do not believe that being less honest or forthright should determine likeability.  You see?

SCgrad

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 08:38:15 AM »
See, I think I would probably like you because I value honesty as well.  I also value being able to learn from others (although I am guilty of breaking this rule at times), so I guess I don't particularly like people who refuse to listen to people other than themselves, ergo people who are unwilling to accept others' ideas are unlikeable to me.

jeb240

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 04:29:55 AM »
But I fear Daveman is going to shut us down because it's not so much about the original topic of positive race-relations.

SCgrad

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 08:56:45 AM »
I don't want to sound like the guy in Bullworth, but does anyone else think the day will come where America is so interracially mixed that a new race, called "American" will emerge.  I'm not talking about 10 or 20 years, but maybe 75 or 100 down the road.  I wonder if this would make things better, or if people would find an equal number of other reasons to hate others without justification?