Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what should i write about  (Read 10801 times)

CDangerz

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: what should i write about
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2003, 08:40:53 PM »
Is it okay if I write about how losing a lot of weight (25lbs) changed my life for my personal statement?

labraham

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Accepted.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 03:12:16 PM »
Is it okay if I write about how losing a lot of weight (25lbs) changed my life for my personal statement?

That depends. I would need to know much more about you before answering definitively. Perhaps you have had other experiences that demonstrate more leadership or communications skills or dedication to your community and those experiences would be more appropriate. Perhaps this is the most appropriate experience and then you should try to show how this transformational achievement has led to great things.

Good luck!  :)
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com
www.accepted.com
labraham@accepted.com

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 12:04:29 PM »
Maddison,
    I am outraged to hear that mature law school applicants
would actually stoop as low as to have someone do some of the work FOR them.  I hope that they are caught and reprimanded (such as an over qualified person to a school, gets rejected becasue they see that two different people have the same essay or close to it).  These people do not deserve to go to law school, they make me sick, don't you agree? And also being that they are soliciting on the web is just plain idiotic.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

beninoregon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2003, 10:18:19 AM »
Hmmm... I think those essay services are for an act of desperation. ;)  

Overcoming adversity definately is a good topic.  That is what I wrote about, and I got accepted to schools I had no business being accepted to. =) I eventually picked one which gave me a very decent scholarship.

I wrote about overcoming being extremely introverted.  So, you see, you don't have to be a poor, downtrodden child of an immigrant coal factory worker to write about overcoming adversity.  Just make sure that you don't OVERSTATE the horrors of your adversity if it was not life threatening.
--Ben--
 --1L--

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2003, 07:29:39 PM »
I am most likely goingto be including how I overcame adversity, I had this in mida all along.  I have been throgh alot and I will mention it if need be, it all depends on what they are looking for particularly in the Personal Statement.  Last comment is to Ben, how could your personal statement have so much pull at a school that you believed "you had no business" being accepted to? I realize that many portions of one's application are considered for admission, including Personal Statements, and essays alike. However I strongly doubt that it was your personal statement that put you through the doors of admission into a school that (you believe) clearly would not have admitted you otherwise.  I am simply curoius about this matter.  :)

Law School Numbers.com

beninoregon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2003, 09:33:16 AM »
Well, its not true that I had no business being accepted there... as, clearly, I WAS accepted there, so it must have been my business. ;)

But anyhow, I was helped by many things.  My PS DID turn out very well.  Also, I have a lot of volunteer and leadership activities on my resume.  Also, I am part asian.  Also, I was a music major.

I guess I just look spiffy!  Remember... if you are half something other than white, mark your race as "mixed" or "other" on your application.  They SAY it doesn't matter... but who believes that? Give yourself all the advantages you can get.

BUT DO NOT LIE.  Wanted to make sure I made that clear.  Those Bar guys will getcha!
--Ben--
 --1L--

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2003, 10:19:26 AM »
Ben,
I know what you mean diversity is everything for prospective law students I am half Sicilian and half German, althoug I am caucasion my heritage speaks for itself.  I am sure that I can claim my heritage for my mother is 100% german and my father is 100% Sicilian, that makes me 50/50 and no in between went applying to law school I will be as I am a Sicialn-German applicant.   :)

Law School Numbers.com

beninoregon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2003, 04:33:23 PM »
Yep.  Thats fairly white. lol. =)  I think you have to be from two continents or something for it to count....

or whatever.  =\
--Ben--
 --1L--

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2003, 08:53:56 PM »
Touché  :)

Law School Numbers.com

josh

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2003, 09:47:10 AM »
Hmmm... I think those essay services are for an act of desperation. ;)  

Overcoming adversity definately is a good topic.  That is what I wrote about, and I got accepted to schools I had no business being accepted to. =) I eventually picked one which gave me a very decent scholarship.

I wrote about overcoming being extremely introverted.  So, you see, you don't have to be a poor, downtrodden child of an immigrant coal factory worker to write about overcoming adversity.  Just make sure that you don't OVERSTATE the horrors of your adversity if it was not life threatening.

hey, do you mind sharing a little more of what you wrote about in your personal statement? it's a really interesting angle... but how exactly does overcoming shyness translate into academic success? totally not a criticism. just wondering if you could elaborate a bit.