Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mentioning disability?  (Read 2529 times)

fresnelp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Mentioning disability?
« on: July 26, 2002, 05:02:14 PM »
Hi all,

Should one mention a learning or a visual disability in his/her statement? On the one hand if one's scores and achievements are high, mentioning about the disability would be a plus, because it would be a proof of will to succeed. On the other hand, the admission officers might have concerns about these applicants' ability to succeed through the program, hence they might deny admission. Any comments?

Peter

chet

Re: Mentioning disability?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2003, 09:53:39 PM »
good question!

I am going to as disability law is one of my areas of passion. Also, I never rec'd any accomodations for my disability (pre-ada) and I think I need to talk to my undergrad GPA.

In the end, it has to be with what you're comfortable.

p.s.

If you rec'd accommodation on the LSAT, that will be disclosed to the school, so in some way, they will already know.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 04:08:48 PM »
I believe that pointing out your disability in the app process is only positive when you have proven to triumph over adversity (GPA shows it!). Otherwise stuck with positive notations.  If you have done well despite this situation then it will be considered "in positive light" not negative. Good luck  :)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

ff

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 06:09:18 PM »
I belive you are supposed to address the LD, overcoming odds, stuff in an addendum.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 03:13:42 AM »
I left my disability completely off my app.  I know some people choose to use it when they've overcome it with good grades, but even so I felt like I'd be better off not letting schools know about my health problems, out of fear that the admissions people would do me a "favor" by not admitting me into a stressful school. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 04:10:04 AM »
I left my disability completely off my app.  I know some people choose to use it when they've overcome it with good grades, but even so I felt like I'd be better off not letting schools know about my health problems, out of fear that the admissions people would do me a "favor" by not admitting me into a stressful school. . .

Yeah, me too. They didn't accomodate me for my disability in UG either, maybe they should adjust my GPA to compensate. They insisted on my attending class sober. Those bastards didn't understand the nature of my horrible affliction, alcoholism.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 02:54:50 AM »
I have decided to make my disability the focal point of my personal statement. It is not a learning disability, so it does not have much to do with my GPA. I plan on using it as an example of my perserverance and ability to overcome adversity.