Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAC Admission Index Information Sheet  (Read 20160 times)

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
LSAC Admission Index Information Sheet
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »
What is this? it has all schools and then a "XLSAT" column and a "XGPA" column. What do these numbers mean? couldnt find any explanation on the site.

pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LSAC Admission Index Information Sheet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 06:22:35 PM »
It's fairly self explanatory.  It shows how many people applied and how many were accepted in specific gpa/lsat ranges.

greyhame

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:07:45 PM »
Not exactly right jacy.

That page represents the schools figures for calculating your LSAC Admission Index for that specific school.  Those figures are factors that your GPA or LSAT score are weighted by.

I know there is an explanation someplace with your LSDAS Report Page. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:58:18 PM »
Oops.  I see what the OP meant now.  There's a couple of different things that "admission index" could describe, and the chart I was thinking of that is on many school's LSAC Info pdf *is* fairly self explanatory.  Sorry.

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 06:17:13 PM »
Not exactly right jacy.

That page represents the schools figures for calculating your LSAC Admission Index for that specific school.  Those figures are factors that your GPA or LSAT score are weighted by.

I know there is an explanation someplace with your LSDAS Report Page. 

yeah I looked all over and I couldnt find an explanation. You'd think they'd have it with the document, but that would make too much sense i guess.
pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever

kmanista

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 08:03:49 PM »
So the admissions index is a number they give law schools, but it's pretty meaningless to you.

According to some other place on the LSAC site that I can't find now, you multiply your LSAT by the xLSAT, your GPA by the xGPA, and add both together with the third constant to get some magic number.  This is useless to you because you have no idea if they're looking for a magic number 20 points higher than yours or will accept one 30 points lower.  It's just a shorthand to make the adcomms lives easier.

doode

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:12:50 PM »
Then I wonder whythey give us the grid and constant. It has to mean something to us... no?

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 09:33:21 PM »
If the LSD/LSN hordes saw "index number" on their reports without an explanation they would beseige LSAC with phone calls, emails and personal visits.  LSAC would prefer to avoid this.  Thus they provide information.

Mr. Burnz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 04:37:36 PM »
Exactly, these index numbers are on your LSDAS report to the right of your LSAT score(s).  It's unknown how this information is used exactly, but the document you are referring to tell you how to calculate your index number.

Mr. Burnz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 04:56:21 PM »
Here's how one of the PDFs at LSAC describes it:

The Admission Index
Some law schools combine your LSAT score and GPA to produce an index number to assist them in the admission process. An index number is provided on the LSDAS Law School Report for LSDAS-requiring law schools that choose to have one reported. You can calculate what index number will be reported for each LSAT score by using the values listed in the Admission Index Information Sheet. You should be aware that the index number reported to law schools may differ if a school changes their index formula after we have made this report available to you. You should contact each school to which you apply if you have questions about how it uses the index number in the admission process.

An admission index is produced by (1) multiplying the LSAT score by some constant (A); (2) multiplying the GPA by some constant (B); and (3) adding the sum of these two quantities to a third constant (C). In symbols, Index = [(A) x (LSAT)] + [(B) x (GPA)] + C. 

The values of the constants A, B, and C, as selected by individual law schools, are listed on the Admission Index Information Sheet. The values of the constants selected by particular law schools may change from time to time at the request of the school. If you have more than one LSAT score and an average LSAT score is reported, an index number will also be reported using the average LSAT score. Not all law schools use these formulas, and those that do use index numbers do not necessarily use them in the same way. An index number calculated by LSAC is not the exclusive means by which a law school may combine data reflected on the law school report and/or other data. The absence of a law school from the Admission Index Information Sheet does not mean that some calculations are or are not made by the school receiving the law school report.