Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school location dilemma...advice needed.  (Read 1636 times)

crusader918

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Law school location dilemma...advice needed.
« on: June 25, 2004, 02:56:09 PM »
Hi everyone...

I am have some location decision issues and I would welcome everyone's candid and courteous opinion and/or advice.

If u don't know my background: URM, Non-Trad., Married, work full-time (exp. 15 years).

My dilemma is this:

My schools of choice are Southwestern and Loyola Law School. Both are in the Downtown L.A. area. Unfortunately, I live in Ontario, California (Inland Empire), which is about 45 miles east from Los Angeles, CA. Travel time to Los Angeles is about an hour in the morning and about two hours in the evenings due to traffic. :( I currently work in the San Bernardino, CA area, but getting a transfer to work in the Downtown L.A. may not be difficult. Unfortunately, I cannot get a house in the L.A. area due to the high prices of houses and condo's (median for a house in the L.A. area: $375K, condo: $300K).

There is a bright spot though. I live in the area near LaVerne School of Law (in my city of residence, about ten minutes away). Great school, great faculty, blah, blah, blah. BUT THE SCHOOL IS NOT ABA ACCREDITED! IT'S ACCREDITED BY THE CALIFORNIA STATE BAR, BUT NOT ACCREDITED BY THE ABA!

The ABA went to LaVerne last October for an Accreditation review and assessment, but the school has not received any word from the ABA. As of this date, still no ABA provisional accreditation.

My question to everyone is: Should I gut it out? Should I make the one hour commute to Los Angeles, working during the day, going to Loyola or Southwestern at night? Or should I go to a LaVerne, which is a non-ABA, but State Bar-accredited Law school?

I could transfer later from an non-ABA school to an ABA school, but that's a crapshoot. I won't be guaranteed a spot in an ABA school as a transfer.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Crusader

PoodleGirl

• View Profile
Re: Law school location dilemma...advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 03:01:38 PM »
You should make the commute.  Loyola is a good school, but I am not so sure about Southwestern.  If you want to transfer out of LaVernge after your first year, none of your credits will transfer from a non-ABA school.  So basically, your time and money is wasted. I know the commute sucks, but it is porbably worth it.  One hour is not that bad.   

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 03:49:19 PM »
I just finished my first year (evening) at Southwestern, but I live and work full time up in the Ventura area.  I generally leave work at 3:30pm and get to school at a little after 5pm.  Classes start at 6pm.  It takes me about an hour to get home at night after class.

This arrangement has actually worked out very well for me.  Then again, I don't need much sleep, and I enjoy the material.  In addition, I love the school and the commute actually gives me time to clear my head before class.

Good luck.
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 03:53:22 PM »
Crusader,
Do the commute.  In three years you'll be glad you did.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 04:10:13 PM »
Sorry, La Verne is not a "bright spot".  Go to LA and enjoy the better career opportunities you will receive.  best of luck!!
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 04:35:01 PM »
First of all, you should re-post your question about 10 to 20 more times.

Then, you should forget about LaVerne and go to a good-name ABA accredited school (aka Loyola)... (I read somewhere that Southwestern was having some problems with their ABA accreditation...)

jgomez

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 04:48:15 PM »
where did you hear/read from, about southwestern?  just curious.  do you remember?

Then, you should forget about LaVerne and go to a good-name ABA accredited school (aka Loyola)... (I read somewhere that Southwestern was having some problems with their ABA accreditation...)

Ginatio

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 04:55:36 PM »
OHHHHHHHHHH. my bad. :-[

http://www.lawschool.com/wsuupdate.htm

it was Western State School of Law, which was suing the ABA over its accreditation. They're both in CA, so I lumped the two together.

I should shutup now.

where did you hear/read from, about southwestern?  just curious.  do you remember?

crusader918

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 07:13:36 PM »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your posts

Please forgive for the multiple posts (especially Ginatio).  I kept getting an error and I kept pressing the post button to make sure.  Sorry.

I really want to attend Loyola.  Loyola was my dream law school ever since high school.  Southwestern is my second choice, but Whittier, Chapman amd USC are on my list but not serious contenders.  Western State?  Not in the running.

I'm just trying to weigh my options and decide whether that 1 hr commute in the a.m. is worth it.  Commuting from the Inland Empire is not easy.  I live about 4 miles west from the 15 freeway off of Grove Ave and the 60 freeway.  I just don't want to burn myself out. Like I said the job transfer is easy, finding residence is very difficult.  I could take the Metro-Link train, but it costs a lot of money and has not service after 8:50 P.M.

Again, thank you very much for your posts,
Crusader

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 07:32:54 PM »
Why are there three threads of this on the same topic in the same boards?