Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: have you told your employer yet?  (Read 2077 times)

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
have you told your employer yet?
« on: June 25, 2004, 02:48:59 PM »
for those that are currently working, have you told your employer yet that you're going to law school?

i'm not too happy where i work right now and i'm thinking of resigning in mid-July with two weeks notice.  i dunno if i should even tell them that i'm leaving for school cuz i don't find it to be any of their business.

any advice on how to handle this would be appreciate.  also, for those that have already given notice, how are you being treated by your employer and fellow co-workers now that they know.

thanks,

canuck
Headed to Hofstra in August!

lawschool916

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: have you told your employer yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 02:58:05 PM »
I totally understand.  I am in the same situation.  My agency just reorganzied shortly before I received my acceptance, so I have a new role in the agency.  I am really nervous about how they will react when I resign.  However, there wasn't much I could say in advance and I am still on two waitlists.  Therefore, I am not completely sure where I will be attending law school this fall.  I am just sitting tight as long as I can, hoping I will hear from the other two schools before August.  In the meantime, I have to keep working -- law school is expensive, so why rock the boat until I have to! 

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 03:13:49 PM »
Nope. And I'm not exactly sure what kind of notice I'm going to give them. Especially since I was promoted about a month ago (but it was loooooong overdue).

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 03:31:39 PM »
I told my boss back in October when I took the LSAT.  He's been great - really supportive, letting me take time off to visit schools, etc.
Now that the date of my departure is approaching, however, I find that I'm being left out of decisions at work.  Since I won't be here in two months my co-workers tend to "forget" to tell me things.  And I have to start training my replacement in a few weeks.  Weird.

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 03:47:30 PM »
thanks for all the replies...it's good to know that i'm not the only one feeling a bit weird.

i can't say enough about how much a good boss is worth.  it makes work so much better and it's sad that i can't say that about the situation i'm in right now.

i think i'm just going to make it terse and say that "i have another opportunity elsewhere".  if they really probe, i don't mind telling them about school.  they don't have a clue right now and i've been getting a lot more responsibilities and they've hinted at a future move-up.  that's why i feel a bit torn and feel that i should let them know sooner rather than later.

i'm in the same boat in that i need every paycheck in July to make sure all my finances are in order before i go.  otherwise i'd be enjoying the summer and getting stoked for school.

c'est la vie!  i wonder if this is a topic for a "legal ethics" class?

thanks again, all.  if you have any advice in the future, please holler!
Headed to Hofstra in August!

sarahz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 04:33:29 PM »
I told my boss back in the fall when i started this whole proccess-and its been fine. In fact my last day in next wednesday (to give myself 3 full weeks to get ready to move cross country) and i have had no problem except that i had to train my replacement which was really boring!?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 05:24:37 PM »
i gave my notice 3 weeks befor my last day WHICH IS TODAY, BABY!!

WOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

but anyway... i dont see why telling them about law school would be bad. i mean, id certainly think that its better than leaving them for a different company! i do understand your hesitation about telling them. i kept my whole application process a secret untill the end. my fear was that once they realized i was leaving they would be quick to hire someone else and then would let me go before i was financially able to stop work. so, that said, if you need the $$ and are concerned about them telling you to leave sooner rather than later, perhaps you should only give them a week or two notice. but why not tell them about LS?

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 05:34:44 PM »
my coworkers pop in approximately every 6 minutes and ask if ive gotten my lsat score yet and where i want to go to school. then again, i work at a law firm.

im amazed any of you guys can keep such a big secret from coworkers... v. impressive. i guess theyre not really your social circle.

cc1t

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 09:04:21 PM »
My boss knows, it sucks cause I have to do bull work now, since they know I'm not promotable, but it's cool, because my immediate manager knows I have only one month, so since I @#!* around all the time know, he doesn't say anything, since I'll be gone in a few weeks.  Then again, I told them when I interviewed last year that I was going to lawschool next year, but they forgot (or so they told me when I let them know I'll in July)

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 04:25:40 PM »
I told my boss almost a year ago and he's been cool, he even promoted me, but now that it's getting closer to August I am beginning to get poor shifts and I've already trained my replacement.  I finally said something to the scheduling manager and this next schedule I have better shifts so we'll see.  In general I think I did the right thing, but maybe not the most financially astute.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.