Law School Discussion

your advice? THANKS!!!

your advice? THANKS!!!
« on: September 19, 2005, 02:55:58 PM »
My scores have been plummeting recently from around 164 to 160. In my most recent test ( June 2004) , I got 4 wrong in LG, 7 wrong in one LR, 6 the other,  9 wrong in RC .
The trend is frustrating and I want to cancel the Oct test.  :(

I have been self studied after I scored 155 in my first self-timed test I figured I could just learn from those books by myself.  Now I feel that self study isnít effective and seriously consider taking some course instead.

My question is:
I have used all but 3 preptests. Is it still useful to take a course such as Powerscore or Testmaster? 

Your advice is appreciated. Thank a lot!

Re: your advice? THANKS!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 03:13:14 PM »
I'm in almost the same exact situation that you are. I also did worse on the June 2004 test. I took it yesterday. I feel like I just wasn't on. I couldn't focus on like half of the LR section.

I wouldn't change your test date yet. I think you can cancel all the way up until a day or so AFTER the test but you better check on that.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 03:22:56 PM »
Thanks! But won't taking Oct. test waste me another precious test?   ;D

For the LR, I couldn't finish. :( always 3 or 4 left. With 3-4 wrong from those finished ones, I get to the same situation again and again.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 04:25:46 PM »
Buy the Silent Timer if you haven't already. It works wonders with your timing. With your situation, if you take a course take a full length one rather than a weekend session.  The weekend sessions are a good review but to bone up your skills either TM or PS full course will work well if you have the extra $$. If you are self-displined and can teach your self, use the Logic Games Bible and Logic Reasoning Bible by Powerscore. They are pretty much the class in a nutshell. If you aren't satisfied with where you are at or lack confidence I'd think about rescheduling but if you do make sure you can nail the Dec test. See how far you get in the next week and a half and if it still doesn't feel right then look at your options. Think positive. What is your target score or schools cause mid 160's isn't too bad at all.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 05:01:37 PM »
Buy the Silent Timer if you haven't already. It works wonders with your timing. With your situation, if you take a course take a full length one rather than a weekend session.  The weekend sessions are a good review but to bone up your skills either TM or PS full course will work well if you have the extra $$. If you are self-displined and can teach your self, use the Logic Games Bible and Logic Reasoning Bible by Powerscore. They are pretty much the class in a nutshell. If you aren't satisfied with where you are at or lack confidence I'd think about rescheduling but if you do make sure you can nail the Dec test. See how far you get in the next week and a half and if it still doesn't feel right then look at your options. Think positive. What is your target score or schools cause mid 160's isn't too bad at all.

Thanks a lot!
My target score is around 166. But from those recent results I see no hope to achieve it.

When I do those test untimed, I can cut down to 2-3 wrong in LR. But in timed tests, I just feel I am not quick enough to finish with confidence.   

I read LRB and LGB 3 months ago. But I didn't spend much time on them because I thought I
I got the ideas. Maybe I should read them more carefully?

As for the full time TM/PS course, will they explain more questions in detail than LRB/ LGB?

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 05:30:54 PM »
When I do those test untimed, I can cut down to 2-3 wrong in LR. But in timed tests, I just feel I am not quick enough to finish with confidence.   
Alot of this has to do with your pace. I think you understand the material, just are spending too much time on each question.  As you know just one or two points can bump you up a percentile. I had the same problem with LR and LC regarding time.  I canceled my June score b/c my timing was off and I got all messed up. At the persistent recommendation of my good budy Pancho, I bought the Silent Timer. Since using the ST I haven't left a question "undone" on my prep tests. You can get overnight shipping or regular shipping take 3-7 days if you want to use it for OCT. I would make sure and practice with it for about a week to get used to it.  There are other solutions for timing and reasons for having troubles that some people have discussed in past posts, this is just what worked for me b/c it breaks your time down problem by problem.

I read LRB and LGB 3 months ago. But I didn't spend much time on them because I thought I
I got the ideas. Maybe I should read them more carefully?
As for the full time TM/PS course, will they explain more questions in detail than LRB/ LGB?

I did the LRB and LGB many months ago as well. I had since become rusty on a few of the techniques so erased answers and went back through it.

The full session TM/PS classes will contain through instruction on the methods and diagraming in the LGB and LRB. The classes are good if you need someone to teach you and have trouble learning on your own without guidance. They will explain in somewhat more detail but still using most of the same information contained in the LRB/LGB. The thing that really helps is you can ask questions or for clarification on a problem by problem basis and get a live answer. They can be a nice review and touch on a few thing you struggle with. However it's hard to say whether a course will make a difference in getting you over the hump. For some it will, for others it's a waste of time and money. For me it was the latter.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 05:43:18 PM »

Sorry for forgetting to say that I already have a Silence Timer. Unfortunately, it doesn't work very well for me. I keep an eye on the timer but just feel I can't go faster without losing accuracy.

Thank you for the information about the course. To ask questions in the class is a good point. I think maybe I need more advice from other people after long self-study.